Weird worm

Hmm, any creatures out there that will eat them? Even then, it would still be pretty hard for a fish or something to get them.

Stephane Cote

SUCESS!!! I finally got the bugger.

I lost a big chunk of live rock with a nice spread of coral however, but i got it. I, again, babysat the aquarium nightly and spotted it. kept this up until i was certain on the rock it was at. how i knew is i took out a bit of its tunnel near the surface.. it poked its head out going WTF happened here. once i knew where it was, i put a sheet of glass to isolate that part of the tank. very rapidly took out the top 2 rocks in 1 shot. then the rock it was in. i put it on top of a bucket of water wedged at the top hoping it would bail. after 1 hour it didn't. so i RO'ed the rock. 2 days later, and a smelly bucket.... i find the worm at the bottom (i would guess about 10-12 inches long). tossed out the rock (ill replace) and here it is folks! I WON! YAHHHH

IMG_1402_zps02c6fed4.jpg

IMG_1403_zps6533ea6c.jpg

David Shaw

Well done for getting it out. I always freshwater dip everything and use coral RX before i put anything into the tank. It's not 100% sure to get everything but it does help get most worms etc out.

I am very lucky now, as i have worked very hard to get a hitchhiker free tank. Over the years i have had my share of bristle worms, mantis shrimp, crabs etc and after several tank tear downs the only things i now have in the tank now are what i put into it.

I feel your relief !

Stephane Cote

Well done for getting it out. I always freshwater dip everything and use coral RX before i put anything into the tank. It's not 100% sure to get everything but it does help get most worms etc out.

I am very lucky now, as i have worked very hard to get a hitchhiker free tank. Over the years i have had my share of bristle worms, mantis shrimp, crabs etc and after several tank tear downs the only things i now have in the tank now are what i put into it.

I feel your relief !

thx!

the only thing i see now are bristle worm, but they are far and few in between and honestly they are small. I find them ok however as they only eat detritus.

Shepster

Oh my god! How do you get something like that? Is it something you do wrong or it's just a lottery? Is it possible to avoid that thing in a tank?!

Stephane Cote

Oh my god! How do you get something like that? Is it something you do wrong or it's just a lottery? Is it possible to avoid that thing in a tank?!

i bought 50lbs of live rock about a year ago.. so I'm assuming it hitched hike when it was a baby and took that long to grow big enough for me to spot it.

Stephane Cote

oh oh.....

noticed a coral that has been chewed on.. further inspection showed a 'constructed' tunnel near it's base...... could it be bobbit worm #2? :(

Oxylebius

Possibly. Or an old tunnel from the first worm that you missed noticing. Or a piece of the first worm that you missed getting out of the tank, and that piece has now grown into a whole full functioning worm.

Stephane Cote

*Queue the DA DA DAAAAAA music*

I moved some rocks a couple days ago to streamline some flow and tonight, i noticed and really really tiny worm spewing out some sand.. OH NOES it see antennas and prickly body. it looks... it looks like a small bobbit! its small.. 1inch around...

sooooooooo instead of trying to ID it 100% i took out the small rock and put it in a bucket. PLZ PLZ PLZ dont tell me i still have a bobbit problem :(

Stephane Cote

Am i really that lucky to have 2 bobbit worms? Yes.. yes i am.

bucket revealed this guy.... it's about 4-5 inches? I REALLLY HOPE thats the last i see if these pests.. GEEZ

IMG_2182_zpsa3z8hze2.jpg