Weird Stuff On duncan coral...

ChitownRomeo

Ok I am really thinking about taking this tank down. Something is very wrong. Tank has been up for years but recently after a water change most of my corals are pissed off. frogspawn won't open up, Hammers stay closed and Torch won't extend. I'm not a rookie but it seems like after I used this Brute trash can everything went to hell. Now all of a sudden my duncan colony I have had for over 6 years with 40 heads on it has this strange yellow crusty substance coming out of it. It's on every Polyp. It hasn't been out for a few days either but I can see this powdery yellow stuff on all the heads. It's not "Jelly like" And it's real hard to blow off. I swear I am just ready to give up. Tank isn't even beautiful anymore.

ChitownRomeo

Here is a pic of the stuff I was talking about. It looks like some yellow crust. It's not slimy at all.

2zp6o2r.jpg

DaveK

This looks like the same coral you posted a picture of about a year ago. See this thread - http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/is-my-duncan-coral-dying.90631/

Note that in the original picture the coral is covered in living tissue, and is smooth. In the current picture it looks like this tissue between the polyps has died off and all we are seeing is the bare coral skeleton with some algae on it.

This is usually caused by generally low water quality or the coral has been starved one way or another. You may be able to save the coral, but this depends upon getting it to extend it's polyps and being fed.

Squatch XXL

I used this Brute trash can everything went to hell
I remember reading something similar elsewhere. There was some sort of pre-treatment to do to the container, but I cannot recall where it was or what the info was specifically. I don't know that this is your issue, but I am certain that I read something....however, my memory is shot.

ChitownRomeo

I Just read that they do apply a coating on the cans to prevent them from sticking together after they make them. didn't know this till now. Just used 3 gallons of vinegar and scrubbed the crap out of it. Going to do a water change now. I'll keep you guys posted.

Squatch XXL

I Just read that they do apply a coating on the cans to prevent them from sticking together after they make them. didn't know this till now. Just used 3 gallons of vinegar and scrubbed the crap out of it. Going to do a water change now. I'll keep you guys posted.
This is exactly what I remember reading. Thanks for jogging my brain. This info is essential and should be spread to other users generously. I wonder if this same process is applied to 5 gallon buckets that come from [big chain hardware stores].