We want to build a protein skimmer

lgerold

Hi!

The new upgrade to 210 gallon tank does force us to build or buy a new protein skimmer.

Hubby is quite talented with his hands (all right, I'm expecting some snickers here) :bouncer: so he would like to have a go at building this thing, rather than buying one.

We do have a 1/2 bath on the other side of the wall behind the aquarium, so we'd like to put the skimmer there, pumping water to and from the aquarium, through the wall. We'll also be installing a top off / water change reservoir there too.

I know there are different styles to work with. I'm considering a venturi design. I don't like the idea of having to change air stones, etc. My Remora Pro is very efficient, so I do like the venturi idea.

But, I'm open to other possibilities.

We are 2 1/2 hours drive time to a plastics/acrylics supplier. We do have Menards, and Home Depot available 30 minutes away. PVC the way to go?

I've seen numerous plans, but most don't go into details about HOW EFFECTIVE the skimmers in the plans are.

I know I can trust you guys for good information.

Thanks much in advance!!!:flower:

lcstorc

I wish I were that tallented. Unfortunately I have to buy everything since I have no DIY skills. One of our DIY experts should pop in soon with some assistance.

mps9506

I've done PVC skimmers when I first got into the hobby. However acrylic is the way to go, it isn't vital to see inside the skimmer, but when it comes to adjusting the water level to get the proper amount of skimmate, you want to be able to see in the skimmer, it also lets you know when to clean the body of the skimmer out as well.
Most of the plans on the internet are for countercurrent airstone skimmers, which work well, but require a large skimmer to be effective. There are also numerous downdraft and beckket plans on the internet, but you don't save much money imo by building these yourself unless you already have the material laying around. The needlewheel or venturi style skimmers are easy to build and the way to go for DIY I think. It can be somewhat difficult to find the venturi's now, but a good venturi I found can make a lot of difference in the performance of a skimmer.

boozeman

sasquach built a neat skimmer recently...I'm sure once he's done testing it he will post detailed plans :D

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Oh Man! what a road that skimmers taking, many tweeks and fiddles but it does produce really dark stuff. LOL lucy, poor Hubby, think about a beckett 15$ cant be beat, pumps are the problem, you need psi, minimum 6.5psi, you can turn it down for low bioload up for heavy stocking and wet or dry as needed, they will accomodate many differant needs.http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cap/raid/skimmers/orig_dd/changes/FrameSet.htm
Chris's old downdraft skimmer , this is a great link that goes into detail of the beginnings of the Bullet series skimmers, there have been some excellant small changes since then, feel free to ask if interested.Steve

Pro_builder

You can build a ETSS Knock off really cheap. All they use for air injection is a tube with bioballs and a preasure pump.
There is also one that is being sold on Ebay for really cheap. It is a ETSS 600 XR with Iwaki pump here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300070635285&rd=1&rd=1

This is the skimmer that I am running on my 300 gallon system and love it. It pulled over a gallon of dark skimmate per day whe I first set up the system, and cured the live rock.

Pro_builder

ASM I don't think is as easy to calibrate and run as a ETSS.
With the ETSS once it is set you never change the settings, to clean it out.
But that price is with the Pump, and extra collection container.the Iwaki 40RLT is about 150 new, plus the 1 gallon collection cup is 125, so it comes to that price really fast.

mps9506

ASM I don't think is as easy to calibrate and run as a ETSS.
With the ETSS once it is set you never change the settings, to clean it out.
But that price is with the Pump, and extra collection container.the Iwaki 40RLT is about 150 new, plus the 1 gallon collection cup is 125, so it comes to that price really fast.

Did you really find the asm hard to dial in?
I haven't used and ASM, but have started using Euroreef skimmers almost exclusively now because I found they were pretty much plug and play.
I haven't used the ETSS, but have played with the beckket style skimmers from MRC.
The MRC was easy to dial in if it was used in an area where the water level did not flucuate (which I guess is true of the Needlewheel skimmers as well).

It would seem to me however that the downdraft style skimmer would be easier to build and parts easier to aquire. I haven't built one though as I have zero acrylic fab skills :D

lgerold

Well, we have decided to go with Snailman's 4" counter current airstone skimmer. We are actually starting the build today!

Sasquatch has been really helpful - I've been pm-ing him today and yesterday. A patient man!

He gave us an incredible idea - the one thing that concerned us about the airstone skimmer is that you need to be able to routinely replace the wooden air diffusers. He suggested that we build an airtight box for the pump, and use a hepa filter for the intake of the box. What a fabulous plan! We'll use a rubbermaid box, and secure helpa filter material over the openings to the box. That should significantly reduce the need to replace the wooden air diffusers. Bravo Sasquatch!

BoomerD

Ya mean like this one:

IMG_6306.jpg

That guy, (also an occasional member here) (with some help from Weatherson) built that air-stone powered "Super-Saturn V skimmer for his 240 reef tank.

Pro_builder

Ok, why would you want something that big, when you can get the same effects on the tank with a much smaller skimmer?

BoomerD

He was trying to build a very efficient skimmer that used less electricity. Even with the huge air blower he uses for the air stones, I think total wattage is less than a mag 5 pump...It works very-VERY well, but he recently sold his 240, so I don't know if it's being used now or not.