Wavetimer on a budget... and it works great!

addict

Well, normally I don't post links to other forums, but I just had to share this one: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469673

This thread describes how to take a $5 WalMart timer (mechanical) and modify it so that instead of rotating once every 24 hours, it rotates about once per minute, making it perfect as a wavetimer.

I built two of these yesterday, and they work great. However, I spent the extra $1 for the timer with 24 on/off settings, so that I can set my powerheads to turn on/off every 15 seconds.

The hardest part is modifying the gearbox, because you have to glue a spacer between two gears so that one drives the other, but even that part isn't 'too' difficult to do.

All in all, I spent about $15 (two timers and a syringe of 4-minute epoxy) and I once again have alternating current in my tank... something that I've been without since my Natural Wave timer crapped out over two years ago.

So, if anybody is looking for a budget wavetimer, give it a shot... the original poster of the thread at RC said his is still running fine after a year of service.

I tell ya though... it's pretty weird watching the faces of these timers spin... makes it seem like time is just flying by! LOL :D