wavemakers....

Phreek

can anyone tell me the benefit of having these? and how they actually work? I get the concept, it turns the powerhead on and off to simulate waves...whats so great about that:rocket:

Octoman

Many corals seem to do better with irregular or wavelike flow like you find in the ocean. I think it helps them regulate their waste exchange, collect food more efficiently, and keep a healthy biofilm on their tissue because the entire coral is exposed to varying currents at different times instead of parts always being exposed to the same flow. Unidirectional flow is rarely found in the ocean.

I tried a wavemaker - I don't like the pumps turning on and off all the time, it can decrease the life of a pump, and with the Koralia style pumps, I was worried about a fish getting in the pump while it was turned off. Right now I use a couple of the Hydor Flo's attached to maxijets to create irregular flow. They do a good job, but they get stuck and have to be cleaned from time to time. I will most likely invest in an ocean motions with a closed loop one of these days.

Hydor FLO Rotating Water Deflector

Oceans Motions

I haven't had much luck with wave makers for the same reason - rough on the pumps. Your best bet is a wave box. It cycles on and off, causing a regular rhythmic wave to move through your tank. It works only when tuned to the resonant frequency of your tank. The Tunze unit that I have requires at least a 48" long tank, but I heard that ther is a nano-version available.

Do they work? ABSOLUTELY!! My water has never been cleaner or better circulated. I have a 120, and it is the only thing in the tank! I got rid of 2 K4's and 4 K3's and replaced them with one wave box. It is amazing

Octoman

Good call on the wave box, I forgot about those! Does it create a wave across the water surface? If so, how much space do you need so it doesn't slosh above the top of the tank?

BigRed

I ran two maxijets on a wave timer and my RK2 for 3 years with only replacing the impeller in them once. I hear good things about the Tunze wave boxes. Of course there is always the vortech pumps.

Phreek

well thanks guys, one of my big concerns was it significantly decreasing the life of the pump, but it seems divided between people if it will do so or not. I'll look into the wave box, sounds cool

Phreek

good point, I think I'll just use the wavemaker the tank comes with, if the pumps fail down the road I can always replace em, if it seems to become excessive Ill just ditch the wavemaker

Phreek

so for the ocean pulse duo wavemaker i know u can set intervals of 6 seconds thru 6 minutes, my question is how long do the powerheads stay on when the intervals hit? if I have it set on 10 seconds will one stay on for ten seconds, then shut off and the other will turn on for ten seconds and so on?