wattage question

acemow

I have a 65k cfl spiral bulb from Lowe's on my chaeto and mangrove fuge. It's 40 watts (only uses 9w elec.) is the wattage too high for chaeto? Fuge has been up in sump chamber for only 17 days. Ballpark on when I'd notice some growth? One more question: How far from chaeto should the light be? Thanks, Ann Marie

novanosis

I have a 65k cfl spiral bulb from Lowe's on my chaeto and mangrove fuge. It's 40 watts (only uses 9w elec.) is the wattage too high for chaeto? Fuge has been up in sump chamber for only 17 days. Ballpark on when I'd notice some growth? One more question: How far from chaeto should the light be? Thanks, Ann Marie

I am using 5100K bulb. source --> Melevsreef.com - Refugium Bulb

" Chaetomorpha is best used in a refugium with a little flow and a light. A lot of reefkeepers have had success growing this macro algae with a basic compact fluorescent 75 watt (5100K) floodlight, although for best results its better to provide a stronger light. " The Macro Algae Chaetomorpha | Brett's Reef - Reef Aquarium Information

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I use a 20 watt CF bulb at 6500k; equivalent of 100 watts. 2 of them actually - good sized fuge

Last edited:
I have 2 flood light style CFL lights on my fuge. The lights are with in a few inches of the cheato, depending on how recently it has been cut back. The stuff grows like crazy, i remove a soft ball size pice every week or 2.

degibson84

i use a 13 or 14 watt 6500k bulb and i get outrageous amounts of growth you should be fine with that light

LAReefs

The wattage is not too high. Depending on the size of the chamber you could probably even triple the wattage as long as heat isn't an issue. You should notice some growth within two weeks given that your tank is producing excess nutrients that are not being taken up by other means. The light should be kept at a distance to avoid excess salt creep while at the same time giving the Chaeto enough light.