Water Testing!

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well I must confess I have not tested my water in ages! Not a good thing for a responsible reefer!

So I went to the LFS and of coarse they don't have all the tests I want so that was a bummer!

I bought the fastest Master kit (same manufacturer of Instant Ocean) but only has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH.

So with what I was able to test the following readings showed up:

PH: 7.8 maybe a bit higher

Ammonia: 0.0

Nitrate- 10

Nitrite- 0.2

They did not have an any tests for calcium, alkalnity(sp) which I wanted badly.

Hard to believe a LFS that deals in reef stuff does not have all the required test kits.

Anybody want to send me a test each of calcium and alkalinity and I will send the money as I need to know whether to drip kalk or not.

Well at least I am back to testing what I should have done a long time ago!:)

EdgeKrusher

Have you though of ordering them through one of our sponsors? I have a very hard time finding CA and ALK tests here in the Twin Cities. I just ordered them through Marinedepot.com. That way I get exactly what I want. Just a thought.

Peace

EK

Gina

RS STAFF
Montanareefer,
If you wish we could check our LFS where we got our test and see if they have CA and Alkalinity for saltwater. If they do we can get it for you and mail them to you. Let me know if you would like for us to check, we haven't been there for a couple of weeks so I imagine Mark will want to go tomorrow.

Gina

F355GTB

Johnny,
I could send you a Red Sea calcium test that I don't use. I bought a Salifert. The Red Sea seems to be about 25 ppm higher than the Salifert. PM me your address & I'll send it out tomorrow.

John

cleartank

Originally posted by Montanareefer

So with what I was able to test the following readings showed up:

PH: 7.8 maybe a bit higher

Ammonia: 0.0

Nitrate- 10

Nitrite- 0.2

What's up with a Nitrite reading above 0.0? PH seems low?

fidojoe

Fish Addict
If you are talking about the aquarium pharm. test kits, they are junk! I had one, and found out that it was giving me false readings for the year I had it.

sharks

Contributing Member
Montana,
To bad you opened the kit :(
I would have suggested Salifert over any other kit.
I would have also stressed NOT to get the master kit. You should never see Ammonia or Nitrite in an established reef. So you would have been better off getting the fastest REEF kit. If your LFS has the master they can get the reef kit. It has Ca, Alk, and phosphate( I believe)
And then just pick up the PH kit.

Any way if you go online go Salifert.
Get the PH, Alk, and Ca. The rest of the tests you probably won’t use. I bought all their kits and they are the only ones I use regularly.

Also like Joe said the fastest aren’t that reliable.
HIH
S

Montanareefer

Hey Sharks! Even though I totally agree with you unfortunately my LFS only had that master kit and I don't use credit cards and the way the mill where I work is so unstable money becomes an issue.

I would love to get a Salifert master kit but will have to wait until I get back to work on a more steady level.

Any way I have another hobbyist checking her LFS for some kits to send me! Thanks everyone for your input!:)

Montanareefer

Gina! Ok may this PM will do!:D

Would like to say thanks with great appreciation to Mark and Gina for sending me the two test kits I need. Karma to ya!:)