Water test kit

BoomerD

Much better to invest in individual Salifert test kits, rather than the ones that don't give good results. Salifert is one of the best made, and fairly easy to use. Most of the cheaper kits sold at the LFS aren't very accurate, and many aren't even made for use with saltwater.
Depending on the age of your tank, the most often recommended tests are:
Salinity (good refractometer)
pH
Ammonia
nitrites
nitrates
calcium
alkalinity

Then, maybe down the road,
Phosphates
and some of the various trace elements. (not required, but many like to know)

BHinAK

I say ditto,

I tried the quick Walmart dip stick and the Red Sea Marine test kit. Don't bother.

Each Salifert kit listed above by Boomer will add up to $100.00 if bought from MarineDepot.

They have dramatic color change and a percise value chart to go by.

Oops, forgot salinity, I still use the old swing arm but everyone swares by refractors.

Ph, I just went electronic thats another $95

Mad Mike

I use the Lamott kits and I LOVE!! em. I had some real water quality issues and since I started using their kits Alkinity Phos Trates and Cal my water is perfect. I use sali for stront and mag and thats cuz last I looked lamott doesnt make em for those. You pay more for the lamott's but they are worth every penny IMO. Simple and accurate.

Did I mention I like the lamott kits? :D

BoomerD

GW, answered your PM on this, but since you posted the question here, I'll copy my reply here too:
Hagen are not very good nor very accurate. LaMotte is probably the BEST hobbyist kit you can buy. You have to buy "professional kits" like Hach to get any better. Salifert kits are only a bit less quality than LaMotte. I have several LaMotte kits, and they are top of the line. Where most kits include a small spoon to measure out a dry reagent, LaMotte gives you a pill. NO chance of accidentally getting too much or too little. BUT, they are hella expensive to buy, and the refills cost about the same (or more) than the comparable Salifert kits.
I've been in the hobby for about 30 yrs, and for my money, Salifert is the best compromise between cost and quality. Personally, I wouldn't buy the crap they sell in the LFS. Just too innaccurate or undependable.