Water Temp Problem

Luke7e

Just wanted to get some advise from everyone...With the warm weather now uppon us in Maine, I am having problems in my 12G Nano keeping the water temp down. Before last week, the temp fluctuated from 78 to 81 now it is steady around 83 and 85!!! I don't think this is particularly good for my corals as my star poly looks horrible. The toadstool still looks great and the Candy Cane Coral looks so-so. Any advise on how to keep the temps down? The room temp is around 75 normally and we don't have any AC in the home. PLEASE HELP as I don't want to lose my corals!!!!

lcstorc

Fans are the best answer I have found (short of a chiller). Just keep an eye on the evaporation. You will need to adjust your top-off schedule.
Peace
Lynn

Dragon Wrasse

I have had to fill a zip lock bag with ice and float it my tank until the temp comes down...it worked pretty good on a day the power went out and the AC wasn't working...

Paendora

Down here in Texas, the same problem's happened in my 75gal when the temp's gone up unexpectedly. Found a hit to keep a couple of 2 liter bottles frozen to pop in to drop the temp. For your smaller tank, an empty 20oz pop bottle might work too.

I like the plastic bag idea too!

jimeluiz

Yeah - we float a frozen bottle in the sump if we get freaked out about the temp mid-afternoon. also you can reduce the time your lights are on.

As a general solution we have a fan.