Water tanks

Clint24

Was looking for some information on cleaning an old water container for future use. I have a 100 gal water tank that I used when I moved my aquarium 4 years ago. Well evidently I didn't get it cleaned out & dried out very well before storing it & when I looked at it over the weekend, it smells moldy. I only used it once & all that was ever in was old saltwater from old DT & maybe a little rain water before I got around to cleaning it. With that being said, is there anything I can do to clean it out real good, ( maybe some bleach or something )?? I would like to make it usable for a mixing tank for fresh saltwater for water changes on current DT. Dimensions of tank are 2'h x 2'w x 3'L with a 6" screw lid in the middle on the top & it has a ball valve on the bottom middle of one end. No way to really reach in there to scrub it clean.
With all that being said, is it cleanable or should I invest in a new tank?? Thanks

CD

Creekview

Bleach, a quart should do. Fill it all the way up, let it sit for a few hours. Then flush, refill, and use a chlorine neutralizer like Seachem Prime. Drain again, rinse out one more time. Should be good.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
+1 above to some bleach. I've used bleach before and as long as its rinsed good, never needed a neutralizer.

Luukosian

+2 to the above, unscented bleach and scrub really good. Let it sit a day or two and you shouldn't even have to use the neutralizer but I always put some Prime in when I use bleach to clean to be on the safe side.

Choff

I use bleach, but a couple of other alternatives are vinegar (does not work as well, but does work) and food grade citric acid. I soak my pumps and test vials in a weak acid solution and it works awesome.

Snid

+1 to Bleach...

If you find there is a residue on the sides even after you use Bleach, try getting a power washer and blasting it, that should get those hard to reach places.

Clint24

Thanks all. Some good advice!! I will try bleach & then might use a power washer to make sure I get it rinsed out good. :)

CD