Water filtration

Parasyte

Hey all. I am a bit confused as far as water filtration goes. I know that most of you guys are running RO water in your tanks. I am not sure the difference between RO and a tap water filter. Both say they reduce "gunk" or hard metals in drinking water by 99%.

My LFS says that using tap water is just fine... Is it??? Also Im not sure if i want to invest in a $175++ RO unit unless I need one, Ya know? Here are some filters I am looking at. One is an RO unit. and the other two are "tap water filters" care to explain the difference? thanks guys!

Aquarium Water Quality: Tap Water Filter
Aquarium Water Quality: Pure-Flo II RO Units
Dual Clear Counter Top Water Filter/Drinking/Carbon/Tap - eBay (item 160283487488 end time Feb-12-09 10:18:29 PST)

Again. Thanks guys!

Goannaman

From what I have read, using a tap filter (like Pur, Britta, etc.) is ok, but very expensive in the long run (much more expensive than purchasing the ro/di unit). The reason is there is no RO membrane to remove any impurities, so everything is removed by the DI media. That leads to a very short life of the DI media, and the need to replace it frequently (and they aren't that cheap).

Here is where that info comes from (text first, link at bottom):
Last month we left off talking about water, and I want to add just a little more to that topic. Using Britta pitchers and/or tap water filters to provide water to marine aquaria is frequently brought up on Reef Central forums as a possible substitute for using an RO/DI. Well, if your reef is to be housed in a mayonnaise jar, then you possibly can use these substitutes. For most anything else, they will eat up the bucks for sure. Why? They may have some DI resin in the cartridge, along with some activated carbon and a particulate filter. The problem is that only a couple of ounces fit into such a tiny filter. Even worse, they have no RO filter, so that tiny amount of DI resin must remove everything from the water. As I explained in last month’s column, the RO section does 98% of the work removing substances from the tap water, and that makes the RO/DI last 50 times as long as it would if the DI had to do all the removal by itself. The same holds true with a tap filter. The small amount of DI resin is quickly saturated and must be replaced often. That means replacing the entire filter, which costs $12-$24 each. To fill even a 55-gallon tank would take about half a dozen, about the same cost that a low-end RO/DI costs. I’m well aware that many new reefkeepers are on limited budgets, so I'll tell you right now that the RO/DI is far more economical in the long run.

Reefkeeping 101 - Tank Selection and Placement by Tom Murphy (aka WaterKeeper) - Reefkeeping.com

Unfiltered tap water is usually very bad. Don't use it. Since I only have a 10G nano, I have been buying my water at the grocery store. Even that quickly gets expensive. I go through three gallons a week (two for water changes, and one for top off). If it costs around $1.00 per gallon, the cost for a year is $156.00 just for maintenance.

chipmunkofdoom2

I used tap water with a conditioner in my tank while it was FOWLR, but I recognized that was a gamble. With corals, I doubt you could get away with it very long.

Also, DO NOT RELY ON YOUR LFS FOR INFORMATION! It's not always intentional, but a lot of the time, they will give you inaccurate information. MANY people come on here after being burned by a LFS's shady information and spend months cleaning up the mess the LFS made in their tank. Do not believe them until they give you reason to.

If cost is a big thing for you, why not look at the cheapest RO/DI system money will buy? This is the unit I use, although my unit only has one output. If you don't have a lot of money, this unit may not go the distance, but it's hundreds of times better than using tap water.

wooddood

the wood dude
i know alot of people that used tap water unfiltered and it will work but the problems is you will have algea problems long term so i say no. this is not a cheap hobby so when you invest in a peice of equipment for your tank buy the best you can afford at the time. good luck to you.

dave.:hug1:

I do not know what size tank you have but I use purified bottled water. I get it at target for $.98 a gallon. It may be more expensive in the long run but I find it easer to just buy the bottled water from the store