Water Changes

SPR

Ok I have the Red Sea 650 and it's been running for around 5 weeks and I have been doing roughly 10% water changes each week for the last 2 weeks after allowing it all to settle. It's not a hassle at all with these big tanks as I can actually get all the water out of the sump chamber with a large plastic jug so don't even need to use my siphon anymore. Just turn the main pump off and skimmer, add some phytoplankton while these are off for the corals while it's not running (just leave the 4 circulation pumps on) and then change roughly 60 litres with 2 buckets I use the Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

At the moment I don't have many SPS corals (only 2 and one gone white - he was green when I had him in my E 260 but over a period of 5-6 months he has gradually changed colour and not sure if he is no more!) and don't intend to have many as I prefer LPS and soft corals

I just wondered what you guys do as I read so much contradictory advice on the Internet. Some say 5% per week, the norm seems to be 10%, or do what you want as long as 20% per month. I have even read some who don't change the water at all and have perfect tanks or at least look like they do.

mr_tap_water

Hi there.
Every tank can to run different and can depend on what type of Live stock you have for instance if you have a large amount of fish you will have a heavier Bio load so will need to change larger amounts weekly to stay on top of things also if you have a heavy amount of corals specially SPS type of coral Will drain the major elements more quickly so water changes will replenish the elements and help keep things stable. But if you have only had the minimum amount of fish and a small amount of corals then the minimum amounts of water changes should be sufficient say 5% .
In my opinion I would say 10% a week is the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Shaun, this I'm sure will be an interesting debate, as you have the faith to purchase a Red Sea Max S aquarium I thought I would give you the Red Sea view on this, we recommend 10% weekly water changes, this of course be dependant element uptake as well, ideally we recommend keeping a stable water parameter as possible, the following blog giving the Red Sea recommended parameters http://www.redseafish.com/blog/enhanced-coloration-or-accelerated-growth/

SPR

Hi Shaun, this I'm sure will be an interesting debate, as you have the faith to purchase a Red Sea Max S aquarium I thought I would give you the Red Sea view on this, we recommend 10% weekly water changes, this of course be dependant element uptake as well, ideally we recommend keeping a stable water parameter as possible, the following blog giving the Red Sea recommended parameters http://www.redseafish.com/blog/enhanced-coloration-or-accelerated-growth/
Thanks Kevin. I have read that blog whilst awaiting delivery and it's very useful. I had forgotten about it whilst studying for my degree in water chemistry and marine biology!

The Red Sea Coral Pro seems in my case to produce everything as per the label in so much as calcium etc but the Alkalinity is always around 8-9 dkh which seems to be in line with the basic Red Sea Salt label parimeters. I have gone for the 35 salinity as have fish, LPS and soft and odd Sps but the alkalinity has never been above 9dkh even from complete new fill using RODI

So I am thinking I need to start thinking wether I want accelerated colour or growth from the corals. From what I have read it seems that for colour I can leave the alkalinity as it is but if I want growth I need increase the alkalinity to around 12dkh (and possibly check the calcium etc) so I would need to start maybe adding some Reef Foundation B. I have some of the combined ABC already but haven't started using is as yet as the parimeters have been spot on so far as all relatively new.

The 10% seems to be the common rate for water changes, and also as recommended by your guys at Red Sea.

DaveK

or you can do the triton method no water changes read here
http://www.triton-lab.de/en/about-triton-lab/overview/

Over the years I have heard so many claims about "never need to do water changes". I have never seen one that actually worked.

No matter what you test for there are things that can never be tested for, and yet cause you problems. Stick to your water change schedule, and ignore the hype. Remember if something sounds too good to be true...

mike1970

Over the years I have heard so many claims about "never need to do water changes". I have never seen one that actually worked.

No matter what you test for there are things that can never be tested for, and yet cause you problems. Stick to your water change schedule, and ignore the hype. Remember if something sounds too good to be true...

I used to think the same thing, but I have a friend who is actually using this system and is having great success for the last 1 1/2 years lmao I would say the same thing to him nothing is better than water changes and dosing but he is proving me wrong with each passing day. I'm thinking of trying this my self.

DaveK

I used to think the same thing, but I have a friend who is actually using this system and is having great success for the last 1 1/2 years lmao I would say the same thing to him nothing is better than water changes and dosing but he is proving me wrong with each passing day. I'm thinking of trying this my self.

I have seen systems run for several years with out a water change, mostly to back up such claims as mentioned above. I've not see the system in question, so I can't be sure about that specific system. The other systems I have actually seen don't seem to look nearly as good as systems where at least some water changes are made.

Part of the problem is that 1 1/2 years is nothing as far as a reef system goes. I'd want to see the system after a lot more years, and see what is being kept.

All that being said, by all means try out this method. Once and a very great while there is a new method that is a lot better than what is currently in use. If you don't try other methods, you'll never know. However, I recommend you set up another, experimental, system to try it on. Don't put your main system at risk.

SPR

If think if the 'white coats' at Red Sea say 10% there is a reason to listen to them and my common sense says that it can't be good to not change the water in a marine tank on a regular basis with all the waste that goes into it even with modern protein skimmers etc. I have fish including 3 tangs etc.

I don't mind at all doing the changes as I clean everything at the same time and I suppose you can change as much or little as suits the individual set up.

I suppose if there are no fish and it's corals only that might be a different story but...

DaveK

I should point out that water changes of 10% per week have been more or less the "rule of thumb" or "standard" for many many years. You really can't go wrong recommending it.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Shaun, regarding your comment about Alkalinity, its not unusual to see a high level of Carbonate uptake in the early stages of any new system, the Alkalinity reserve is used by many biological processes as well as being used by Corals, it may well be worth checking the dKH of a newly made up batch of salted water and checking the dKH, you can now also get the QC lab results for your batch of salt which is another useful check http://www.redseafish.com/my-batch/ I would not be concerned in the early stages about how much Foundation B (Carbonate) you need to keep the dKH matching your Coral Pro salt.

Reactions: SPR

mike1970

I have seen systems run for several years with out a water change, mostly to back up such claims as mentioned above. I've not see the system in question, so I can't be sure about that specific system. The other systems I have actually seen don't seem to look nearly as good as systems where at least some water changes are made.

Part of the problem is that 1 1/2 years is nothing as far as a reef system goes. I'd want to see the system after a lot more years, and see what is being kept.

All that being said, by all means try out this method. Once and a very great while there is a new method that is a lot better than what is currently in use. If you don't try other methods, you'll never know. However, I recommend you set up another, experimental, system to try it on. Don't put your main system at risk.
this guy have been using the Triton system for some time now take a look