Water Changes

MrPex

My tank is 2 months after cycle, 3 months old total. 60 gal FOWLR with 5 damsels, 40 snails, a conch and a hermit.

Recently, my nitrates dropped to 0 as my sand began to bubble from, apparently, nitrobacter establishing itself and creating the bubbles of nitrogen I can see bubbling up from my sand.

Since my nitrates are 0, can I back off of doing weekly 10% changes and, while continuing to monitor my params, drop to bi-weekly 10% changes (unless, of course, I begin to detect nitrates again) instead? I wonder this since it's not like I really need to worry about replacing any "exotic" nutrients/chemicals that my reef salt provides since they are not being used up by any real reef inhabitants yet. (I'm using reef salt since, when I get the free time from work, I'm going to start off with some rics and get going more towards corals than fish...)

Thanks!

lcstorc

If your parameters allow then yes you can back off the water changes.
What are you using for your biological filtration?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm with Lynn (again). Just follow your test results and how your tank looks/acts. When in doubt WATER CHANGE :)

StirCrayzy

Skimmer will help keep everything stable, i recommend getting one with a surface skim attachment, unless yer running some other sort of surface overflow.
BTW i use a prizm HOB and its not real loud, but noticable.
Its on 24/7, even though it doesnt fill up within a month.
How bout some pics !!