Water changes when following red sea reef care program

Rini

Hello,

At the moment I have a Max c-250. In that tank basically are most frags of corals.

Fish:
In that tank there are some fish living. Yellow tang, few chromis, few shrimps, cleaner fish, couple clowns.
Yellow goby with his shrimp. 2 red ruby dragonets, and a Centropyge bispinosa.

Since the beginning i started with the tank I followed the red sea program.
First the reef mature program (21 days). And after that the red sea reef care program.
My nitrate and phosphate stays pretty stable.
Nitrate around 2.
Phosphate around 0,06

First I did a water change every week, and noticed that I was the whole week dosing reef foundation A & B & C to keep it on the right levels, following red sea here.
When it was "good" a water change came, and the proces started over. Dosing again to get the numbers correct.
By then i thought, let me go for a biweekly water change (what i'm still doing at this moment). Means that i change an 20 liter now per 2 weeks. The first week after the water change i'm dosing or adjusting to get the right numbers. The 2nd week everything is ok. Then a water change, and I can start adjusting again.

What i noticed is, before a water change my nitrate is mostly still around / lower as2, and after it is still around or lower as 2.
Same for phosphate. The difference is very low at least. if there are any differences. Using red sea testers btw.

Whole story, sorry for that. The question basically is. People using the red sea reef care program how many times do they water changes.
I'm to noob to see when a water change should be done. I rely on water testers. Even then I do not know when to do a water change. Now i just do it 2 times a month basically. I know some people by just watching the tank and see ok i should do a water change. I'm far far very far from that point.

Sorry if there is an topic like this around, did search but could not find any.

Thanks in advance.

Danreef

A, B and C are the Alk, Ca and Mg correct ?

Those are like any of us is doing. I use Bionic 2 parts. The Mg is replenish with the weekly water changes. When you dose an equilibrated 2 part system you can only measure for Alk, if you wish, Because you add the same volume of Alk solution and Ca solution (equilibrated).

Also your weekly water changes replenish elements that were added in the salt.

Bottom line. You need to know how much your tank use of alk and add that daily to keep it stable. I will keep the weekly WC. Your levels of Alk and Ca do not change "a lot " due to a 10% water change. Do the math.

If RED SEA A,B,C is not a 2 part equilibrated solution (I am sure it is not). It is easier to use something like bionic. Read in internet.

This is at Red Sea:

Reef Foundation ABC+ should be dosed on a daily or weekly basis according to the aquarium type and according to a measured uptake of calcium. Over time an imbalance may occur between the foundation elements.

If dosing daily, you should test all of the foundation elements weekly and make adjustments with the individual A, B & C supplements. If dosing weekly you should test all of the foundation elements monthly and make adjustments with the individual A, B & C supplements.

Oxylebius

Water changes are done for a couple of reasons, to replenish levels of Ca, Alk, Mg and other major and minor elements that are needed by the tank inhabitants to survive. Water changes are also used to bring bad levels of chemicals down, including but limited to nitrate and phosphates.

What you need to keep in mind is that the longer you wait to do water changes the more limited (used up) the various elements are in the tank, and there is potential for nitrates and phosphates to build up.

Every tank is different. By testing your tank you should start to get a feel for how long your tank can go without water changes. Testing not just Alk, Ca, Mg, nitrate and phosphate, but you may also want to test the major elements like Iodine, Potassium, iron, as well as some others.

Another factor to consider is the amount of corals you have and at what rate they are absorbing all the elements.

But, perhaps someone who is using the same items as you can add their thoughts on this topic.

DaveK

All of what the others have said about water changes is correct. However most of us want to keep the maintenance as simple as possible and get back to watching the livestock.

The simple rule for water changes is that if your not having problems, change 10% a week or 25% a month.

As for the additives. Only use them if your readings for Ca, Alk or Mg are way out off. Do not chase numbers. Test first and adjust. You will often find that you do not need to dose them often, or not at all, especially if you don't have too many corals in the system. If your dosing massive amounts, something else is way off and you need to find that and correct it.

Rini

Ok understood. Thanks all for reply.

If an rcp user want to reply, feel free. Want to hear their opinion too.

Desmond

The most important thing is stability so your levels and chasing numbers will in the long run have your parameters up and down which can lead to problems. I have given up chasing figures and water levels are doing good now :) was best advice i got :)

Rini

Yes stability is key. I'm not really chasing hard numbers. Just using the red sea numbers as a sort of guideline.

Will go for a 10% water change as DaveK advise. Perhaps thats better and keep the stability better as doing 2 times a month.

Further I noticed that probably i'm adding the salt to quick to the tank. Have read some topics on the forum about this. Mostly it land in my tank with in 15-20 minutes. Will change this as well and let it stand for 30 minutes at least before adding.

Desmond

I do a 10 % change each week. Also when i mix my salt water i add salt and let it sit for 1 hr with heater and add when at least 25 c i alwats check salinty before adding to be sure.