Water change... help!!

blythe

Hi -

This is not actually "Blythe". I am his fiancee... he's out of town, out to sea, actually, and I can't reach him except by email. I am in charge of the tanks, and am doing fine so far, except I'm supposed to do a water change on the reef today. He told me all the things to do to mix up the water for it, but there's one bottle I'm unsure of.

It is the Liquid Reactor - Calcium Buffer... am I supposed to use that? I know there was one bottle I didn't need and one that was VERY important, and I just want to be sure. I'm pretty sure that this is the one I didn't need, but PLEASE HELP! I don't want to screw this up!

Thanks,
Stacie ;)

Curtswearing

Stacie, congrats in advance!!!

BTW....let's work through this a bit. If the waterchange is a day late while we figure out what to do, the tank is not going to crash.

Waterchanges usually are best if there is consistency. We usually want to look for the following to match the water in the tank;

Temperature
Specific Gravity (it might have been called salinity)
pH

I typically put salt into some new water....heat it....mix it with a powerhead. However, it's possible he mixed up some saltwater in advance.

The product you mention is not typically used on waterchange water unless his salt mix is deficient in calcium or alkalinity.

If he typed up your instructions on a computer, could you copy and paste them here for us to look at.

blythe

Hey Curtswearing -

Thanks for your help. He didn't make up the water, but showed me what to do. I'm actually getting on a plane in about 2 hours, so I have to do this soon. :)

Judging by your comments, I think this is the bottle that I DON'T need to use. Thank you so much. That was my hunch, but I didn't want to screw up!!

Thanks a lot! I knew I could get help here! Brad always gets such quick responses, I don't know why I didn't think of this this morning.

Thanks again!
-Stacie :)