want anemone

jav'sreef

i went to the lfs and saw a green BTA that looked really nice at a good price ...yesterday i went back to get the anemone and it didnt look the same ...here are some pics
Picture012.jpg

P.S. what is this its really colorful and the lfs said its esy to keep
Picture013.jpg

Snelly40

The top is a BTA (Bubble tip anemone) and the bottom is a sun coral (Tubastrea faulkneri). yellow polyps will come out of the openings. Great looking coral.
-J

blue_eyes53813

The anemone may just be reacting to the transfer and water change at the lfs. They need to be acclimated very slow(drip acclimate is best). Need ALOT of light . How much lighting and what spectrum do you have?

The sun coral is kinda easy, but time consuming for the owner. They need to be fed. They dont live on lighting. They mostly open at night. To feed them and get them to open they need to be spot fed once or twice a week. If you dont feed them ,they will die a slow death. I will post pictures of my sun coral being fed. I made a cap for it out of the bottom of a 2 liter pop bottle. I cut a whole in the plastic and I shoot food onto the sun coral.

R.yumaDaddy?

Sun polyps IMO are a pain in the a$$ to feed and not worth the time, but thats just my opinion. Not sure about the anemone, but it doesn't look at its best.

Snelly40

i think the anemone looks good, they do spread out like that.
I dont have a sun coral, however i have heard they are not too bad to care for. I have heard they should be kept out of lighting that is too strong and lower in the tank.

jav'sreef

the anemone would be going into a 29 gallon with 130 watts of PC lighting (9 hrs a day due to algae prob) is this enough light for it if i place it near the top of my LR

blue eyes, i just looked at your link and i have read of people doing that for feeding the sun coral...i was wondering though, is there a hole somewhere in the cup to allow you to squirt in the food? and also are there any other holes for small amount of flow or no?

Thanks!

blue_eyes53813

Yes actually there are several wholes about the size of the turkey baster end to squirt food in. I usually took it off after about 20-30 minutes to let other fish consume the left overs.

Witfull

i cut the bottle in half...used the top half....

punched holes in the bottom circumference,,,,

then squirted the food into the twist off cap part,,,worked good enough to revive a half orange/half black to life and resell it....but it was a painin tha @$$,,,,i wont keep them again

really dave...was it a pain b/c it was alot of work to save them or just in general? jav's reef your anemone looks cool...i wish i had enough light to get one myself! good luck with it!

Vanquish

About sun corals not opening under strong lights is a myth, the same why as why many corals have their tentacles fully extended at night is because a sun coral opens up only when there's food.... or it when it senses food in its surrounding...

If you're patient enough, take time to train sun corals to open up when the lights are on by using a transparent plastic bottle cut into half and inverted. so that the original bottle opening faces up and pump food into the water inside the bottle.

When the sun coral detects food in its surrounding, it would open up, this might take several days and keep doing till the open up instantly when there's food in the water column....

Den have the sun coral placed in a position whereby it recieves flow, so that when you feed foods like cyclopeeze, it gets carried to the sun coral...

Walahhh... you now have a sun coral that opens up big under the lights... :)

Still, its recommended that you target feed them individually (every polyp) as that would ensure their long term survivability and health... :)

Vanquish

Charlie97L said:
isn't there another normal polyp coral taht looks very similar to the sun coral but is much easier to care for?

Yup.... the dendrophyllias... :) Though these are more rare... :)

lcstorc

Anemone = light, light, and more light.
Please don't make the mistake I did. I have several that are very unhappy and split constantly due to my low lighting. I keep giving them away, but, can't get rid of my maroon clown's buddy. :(
Anyway get MH and you should be good. they are really cool to watch etc.
Peace
Lynn