Wall unit

caribbean_lover

Just wanted to tell about our new project. We haven't started construction yet but this is what we will be building. It is going to be a tank/entertainment/closet wall unit. It will be going on an entire wall of our bedroom. The idea is this: We will have a closet on either end. Beside each closet (moving toward center of unit) will be two 75 gal. tanks (4 all together) - one above the other. Then in the center will be an entertainment area for our tv/dvd etc. Above and below the complete setup will be storage areas. The bottom storage areas will be for our filtration. When we start our project I will post pics as we go along. But this will not be until this comining spring.

Craig Manoukian

Welcome and you must be really excited aboiut this with such advanced reporting. Good luck and do keep us posted. Any schematics or plans to start with?

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

mwrager

Welcome to the Sanctuary Caribbean Lover. Your plans sound nice. Take pics and post them when you get started

SaltyQueen

That's going to be one heck of a structure to support all that weight- definitely post pics of your progress when you start this project!

caribbean_lover

Thanks for the replies. Right now my husband has done some rough sketching but maybe with some sweet talk I can get him to do better sketches so that I can post pics of them to give a better idea. I will definitely post pics. Especially now that I know people are interested. :D

As for the support of the unit. The wall that the unit is going in front of is concrete so we are planning on achoring it to the wall itself by drilling and placing achoring bolts.

Spooda420

always interested in DIY projects.

4-75gallon tanks? hope its on a solid piece of wood. quick math 75 * 4 = 300 gallons of water = 2400 lbs + 300 lbs rock + 300 lbs sand + sump???? your talking 3000lbs+ of stuff at least.

good luck

wooddood

the wood dude
sounds great im in the process of an in wall 120 as we speak i'll start posting pics this weekend.good luck on yours.also john lewis is doing an in wall right now to check it out.

johnlewis

Wow that sounds interesting, you are going to need a quite setup for 4 75's in your bedroom. Do you have a basement below to route to for sumps.Sounds like you will need some more electrical as well.

Keep us posted.

caribbean_lover

Originally posted by johnlewis
Wow that sounds interesting, you are going to need a quite setup for 4 75's in your bedroom. Do you have a basement below to route to for sumps.Sounds like you will need some more electrical as well.

We don't have a basement below our bedroom, it has a concrete floor. But, there's a good and a bad to this. The bad thing is - we can't route our filtration but with concrete it will support the weight better. As for the electric - we're in luck a friend of ours is an electrician so he's doing the work for us.

caribbean_lover

Originally posted by johnlewis
How about behind the wall is there someplace for equipment there like a closet or laundry room ?

Nope. My daughter's room is there. We are going to run everything behind the unit and under.

ScottT1980

Another thing to really consider here is ventilation. While I do not know all the intricacies of DIY tanks into walls, I do know the damage that can arise from poor ventilation. 300 gallons of saltwater will produce a good bit of evaporation (although it could be much worse, just ask Mr. 4000).

Just throwing out a detail that many forget with these type of setups. I wish you the best of luck with it, I can't wait to see its progression (BTW, I hope you have a digi camera for all our curious eyes :D ).

Take er easy
Scott T.

caribbean_lover

Originally posted by ScottT1980
Another thing to really consider here is ventilation.

(BTW, I hope you have a digi camera for all our curious eyes :D ).

We are not building it directly into the wall. The unit is going to sit in front of the wall but anchored to it for support. We are thinking of putting some sort of vents in it (not too sure where/how yet). As for the camera - we have to buy one really soon (can't show off if there isn't good pics:D )

mwrager

I would put some vents in. That way the evaporated water can be vented into the room, not into the walls.

caribbean_lover

First Scketch

Here is the first sketch my husband re-did so you can start getting a better idea. This is the main part of the unit. It doesn't show the top storage or the side closets. The center entertainment section is going to be encased in waterproof drywall to protect the electronics. The bedroom walls and unit will be painted forest green with decorative white trim. I will post the other sketches as soon as he finishes them. Thanks for the interest.

*If this picture link doesn't work or it is too small please go to my gallery for a pic*

Last edited:
Originally posted by ScottT1980
(although it could be much worse, just ask Mr. 4000).

Take er easy
Scott T.

This is off topic, but do you happen to have his website??? I seem to have lost it and a friend of mine wanted to check it out... Thanks!!!!
BTW, The in wall unit sounds REALLY cool, cant wait to see some pics.

-steve

Maxx

two 75 gal. tanks (4 all together) - one above the other. Then in the center will be an entertainment area for our tv/dvd etc.
damage that can arise from poor ventilation. 300 gallons of saltwater will produce a good bit of evaporation
Something else to keep in mind w/ what Scott is pointing out is corrosion. That much salt water in close proximity to sensitive electronics....bad combination. Not in the dangerous sense, just expensive to replace TV's and DVD players every couple of years....

do you happen to have his website??? I seem to have lost it and a friend of mine wanted to check it out
SCR.....the website for MR 4000 is no longer up.....he musta gotten tired of being used as the example of what can happen if you dont take moisture/evaporation/condensation in consideration......(for those that might not be familiar...mr 4000 built a 4000 gallon aqaurium in the basement of his house. he failed to adequately ventilate his basement as his house rotted out from all the condensation....no word as to whether or not that was covered under homeowners insurance...act of God????)
Just things to keep aware of....
Nick

wooddood

the wood dude
i think you have a great idea here but,like alot of people are concerned on your ventilation for all those tanks and i agree.i would reshearch this aspect of the wall unit a little more.plus the fact of maintaining 4 tanks daily would be a chore.maybe just one larger tank.