Vortech vs. Tunze

icedgxe

Alright. I am about to place an order to upgrade my 6 koralia's. I would liek to get some opinions. I had my heart set on the mp40w but keep hearing about having to replace the wet side every so often and people having issues with them. My next option would be two tunze 6085's hooked up to this simple wavemaker which I already have ...

Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Wavemaker

What are everyones opinions? Tank is a 125g mixed reef with mainly sps. here is a pic with rock formation to give an idea...

Pic122.jpg

thanks.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I've had two VorTech pumps running in my 90 gallon reef for 2 years non stop without any problems. They are sweet pumps! Never used the Tunze, but they are a reputable company. I would think that maintenance is required on either brand.

michael_cb_125

I have had both. I loved the flow that My Tunzes produced. But they had issues with the internal magnets calcifying. I was constantly cleaning them. After three months they completely quite working. At the same time I had a Gen I MPW40. I was not impressed, as it was very loud.

Now I have a Gen II MPW40. This is the best Powerhead ever made. It is silent, and produces amazing current. The new wet side on the GEN IIs is amazing. Definately go wit the vortec.
~Michael

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Both of them are excellent pumps but the biggest pro for the Vortech is the battery backup, that's a huge advantage over the Tunze IMHO.

DaveK

Both are good pumps, both Tunze and Vortech have advantages and disadvantages over each other. It's more question of personal preference.

I do not see battery backup on wave making pumps to be any big advantage. This is because wave making systems are usually not critical to the system.

If your going to use battery backup, put it behind your main circulation pump, which is usually critical to the system.

As for the Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Wavemaker, it will work, but not come close to with the other pumps will do. In addition most powerheads you would run with it are not recommend for start and stop operation. In some cases, you even void your warranty.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I do not see battery backup on wave making pumps to be any big advantage. This is because wave making systems are usually not critical to the system.

It's a big advantage if the electricity goes out and it's versatile completely controllable, you can run it as a regular pump or as a wave maker.

If your going to use battery backup, put it behind your main circulation pump, which is usually critical to the system.

And which other pump do you know comes with a battery backup ? I don't know of any. You can use a UPS and hook up a pump to it but it usually only last a few hours unless you dish out big money, the Vortech can last up to 30hours. Only other option would be a battery inverter or generator.

cioutlaw

Ive been running 2 Tunze 6101s on the Tunze wavemaker for over a year with no problems at all. Havent used the Vortech but gets good reviews.

markm3

i got the new vortech mp40 gen 2 ..its very powerfull and have nice programs but but but ,,,,its not runing in 100% silent mode if ur display is in living room , u will hate this pump its very noisy at the pulse mode u wont keep it working more than 5 min at all.....i did very good for calibration this pumb and it was still noisy ..sorry for that truth but if u r looking for good and ((( qiute one ))) go for the tunze ..

twoclowns

Love the vortechs they are very quiet if you properly align the pump, the battery back up is great, when you lose the power it kicks on at 50% to keep flow in your tank, your corals will still have o2. I have been running them for about 2 year, i bought 2 of the first gen, then last year bought the controller upgrades. Only paid 605 for the the first two and then I think 180 for the controller upgrades. Great pumps would love to get two more, very energy efficient. Hope this helps.