Vodka Dosing in my RSM

jackpe

Hi,

Want to try this as have a problem with Cyano that just won't go away.. Have a fews sps as well so shoudl be of benefit to them too..

Does nayone know the dosing I should be doing, how may mls per day?

:eek:lsmile:

mbdave

You know I want to try this too now that I have a better skimmer. Theres lots of info on it online heres some..Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com I plan on starting with very little and cross my fingers. Also I might add have you ensured your not overfeeding, or have enough circ., or high phosphate? You might want to look into those thing prior to going the vodka route imho.

jackpe

You know I want to try this too now that I have a better skimmer. Theres lots of info on it online heres some..Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com I plan on starting with very little and cross my fingers. Also I might add have you ensured your not overfeeding, or have enough circ., or high phosphate? You might want to look into those thing prior to going the vodka route imho.

Hi,

I feed half a frozen block a day but I rinse once defrosted to take all the crap out

All parameters are on 0 apart from phosphate which is 0.015 which is still fine..

I run rowaphos, changed weekly

Water for chages is 0 TDS

Lights on for 11 hours per day..

jackpe

One other thing you might want to read The Old Becomes New, Yet Again: Sandbeds and Vodka - Part II by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com it gives a different opinion on vodka dosing.

I ha d read this before but it seems as if Borneman is curently the lone voice saying carbon sourcing has no effect... all othe info I have read on froums and from people I know has pointed towards vodka doign having an effect.. not always a positive one (often can be detrimental tom soft corals) but an effect all the same to reduce organics. Jsut wondering what dosing to go for..

mbdave

Cool, I agree Borneman is the only one I have found "so far" against organic carbon dosing. When I get my nitrate and phosphate test kits I am going to dose myself.