vitamin C

newreefguy

I have been told by a reputable source that vitamin C helps a lot with zoanthid growth and coral health in general. While I believe him, I would like to know if it makes THAT much difference? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

faust

i use vit c, it is said that it help build the cologen sp? in zoas. others say its a carbon source, there's no evidence to support this. it does seem to fuel the anerobic bact. you should start with a 1/8 teaspoon and move up in 4-5 days. you will work up to 30 ppm over 6 weeks. also you cannot just use any vit c. i herb has a buffered vitc with a ph of 7.1

Last edited:

faust

your welcome, but please don't just think you can just dump this stuff in your tank. please. please!! i will make availible to those who pm me a dosing and mg to teaspoon conversion chart based on a 100 gallons, you can adjust to your tank size from there . i do a 2X a day maintenance dose. i'm giving a lecture for our local club on this topic next week. after that i will post up my notes. i will say i'm very pleased with the results in my own tank

DublD

I use it at a way under recommended amount. I did notice some improvement in color. The one really weird thing that I noticed after each dose is my ORP drops like a rock (like from 370 down to 95) and takes the better part of the day to come back up again to normal levels. I haven't taken the time to research the cause yet but I haven't noticed any adverse affects to my inhabitants.

newreefguy

I been using this stuff for about 3 days and believe it or not , I already notice a difference.. My orange zoos brightened up and my tubb blue zoos started multiplying.. 2 new heads in 3 days.

i dont know much about orp, but it could be because VC is an Antioxidant, and i understand ORP is all about Reduction and Oxidation...
just a thought on a little old thread...

btw, i just ordered the vitamin c and im was going to try the vodka method, then i saw a Brightwell alternative with reef fuel and microbacter 7, then i read that vit c is a carbon option too, so does this means that i dont have to use reef fuel or vodka? will vit c do the job?

i got my vit c from i herb 3 days ago, and i have just been dosing 1/8 tp at night 3 hours before lights go off, i am not planning for a rigurous treatment, since i have just set up my calcium reactor so i could have everything automated and do less maintanance, i dont ike the idea of putting a lot of stuff inside the tank everyday. (not talking about trace and minor elements), so i guess it wint hurt to dose a little every now and then