VHO vs T5

Nimitz

Ok, other than cost, what's the difference between VHOs and T5s? I'm researching lighting for my new 150g tank and am looking at various fixtures that have MH, T5 & moon lights all in one but when I had my tanks 15 yrs ago I only used VHOs.

Nimitz

by 'old school' do you mean 'old technology'? Being old school doesn't necessarily mean bad ... Do T5s last longer, more efficient light output, etc?

mordibv

I'll take a stab at this .
T-5 lighting are newer type lights that have great output if setup correctly . You can overdrive t-5's with an icecap 660*09 ballast to get more intensity out of them . EG 48 inch 54 watt bulb on this ballast outputs around 84 watts per bulb . T5's are touted to last 18 months but I had to replace mine at the 12, 13 month point and imho I was pushing it . t5's take just as much room up in a retro as vho's because the reflectors are indiviual .These reflectors also increase the intensity too .
You don't get the glitter lines of MH but you can grow anything under these lights and slightly save a little more money on the light bill . If the corrrect choice of bulbs are made the colors of some SPS corals is simply amazing .

If you do choose to try these make sure the fixture has indivdual reflectors and the same for a retrofit kit . Good retro is an icecap kit . Good fixtures are Tek , Aquatinic's and the king of t5 ATI power module .

Hope this helps .

Nimitz

thanks. I've been reading up about Current USA Outer Orbit fixtures which have MH, T5 & moon lights all in one unit. Are you saying that you can get a fixture of all T5s and skip the MHs and still keep soft corals, LPS & SPS corals?

jenglish

I have seen beautiful SPS, nems and clams kept under T5 setups w/ not a MH in sight. :)

Morbid, these T5s that you said were losing power at 13 months, was that at normal output or overdriven?

mordibv

Yep ,you can get an all T-5 fixture and have no MH and ur tank will thrive .Just make sure the fixture has individual reflectors in them . Not the parabolic type .
The 13 months on the bulbs were not at NO but overdriven with an ice-cap .