Vho And Sps?

jski711

Well im setting up a 15g frag tank and am not going to put a metal halide over it. Im kinda up in the air about things i was either going to go t5 which i run now or VHO. i have seen some really sick corals under VHO and the frag tank will only be 12" deep. my question is will 2 vho bulbs be enough for sps. i have no experience with vho. thanks,

Jake

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
VHO does make the corals glow with some very cool colors but for a frag tank where growth is important I would opt for T5's instead which will give much better PAR #'s than VHO.

bigfish

i would go with vho's. i have t5's and vho and i think vho actinics blow away anything that t5's can offer and i dont think anyone can argue that. and alongside with an actinic white bulb you WILL see great colors and good growth!

Coral color appearance is directly related to the color temperature of the bulbs in the tank not the bulb type.Specific color renditions can be achieved with any light source be it t-5 or metal halide or vho.It may be somewhat easier to do with t-5 due to the ability to mix many different bulbs in one unit,and a very broad bulb selection.

jski711

so if i did go vho, how many bulbs and what bulbs would be good for a 15g tank? i was thinking 2 bulbs would be fine in that small of a tank. i was going to go with one 50/50 and one actinic. any other ideas?

bigfish

that is what i run for 12 hrs a day and i run my 6500k t5's only for 4 hrs.....too yellow and i see great growth in my tank. the 5050 is called actinic white usually. u can get a bulb that is more yellow day bulb but i think you would be JUST fine going with a 50-50 and an actinic and the colors will be sweet.

bigfish

my good camera i dropped in a bucket of water and my other doesnt do any justice of color but hold on ill try.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Coral color appearance is directly related to the color temperature of the bulbs in the tank not the bulb type.

True but to this day I have not seen any other type of bulb match the color that actinic VHO's can provide but for a frag tank where you want good growth/color you need a bulb that can provide good PAR #'s and I don't know if VHO's alone can do this. The fact that the tank is only 12" tall it would probably work out just can't say for sure.

jski711

i guess i just need more convincing evidence that vho would be fine for my sps frag tank. i've had such good success with my t5's im just a little skeptical.

bigfish

t5's on with vho

t5.JPG

vho only

vho.JPG

but like i said this camera is terrible and the colors are mcuh better in person!!

jski711

it just worries me that they won't have enough par by themselves to grow sps frags. as far as coloration is concerned i can't argue with the actinic vho though.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
it just worries me that they won't have enough par by themselves to grow sps frags. as far as coloration is concerned i can't argue with the actinic vho though.

Well you have nothing to lose if you try especially if your going to use the Icecap ballast which will run both the VHO's and T5's.

bigfish

in the vho pic~ yesterday i actually changed over from 2 50/50 and 1 vho to 2VHO and 1 50/50. thus the reason so blue but it really does put out some good colors. I run my 2 54 watt 6500k like 4 hrs at mid day but i just like the blueish tint much better! good luck and sorry those pics are so ratty. I also have SPS in my tank and all is survived thus far! i have 2 monti caps with good growth amd a coulple more i dont know names of but i have never had anything die on me! I am sure the few hours of the t5 help though.