Very noob clownfish breeding questions.

nanoty

I've been reading threads along with Joyce Wilkersons book about breeding clowns and have discovered a wealth of information through both this book and other peoples trial and error. In order to keep from pestering Doni with my trivial questions I thought I would start my own thread where I can pose my noob questions that I cannot find an answer for. It will most likely be updated as I encounter more problems.

Background: I relatively new to saltwater having only kept 2 other SW tanks before my current two. Both other ones where destroyed by hurricane causes power outages. I currently keep a 40g breeder and 7.5g rimless reef tank and have become interested in breeding marine fish. I have bred FW before with some sucess but seem more inthusiastic with the idea of breeding clowns.

Questions: Time to get to my problems.

1. According to Wilkerson, when dealing with the smaller sp. of clowns (ie. percula, etc) it is better to start off with a small, young pair than a group of individuals because the struggle to for a hierarchy prolongs pairing to unreasonable lengths of time. Is this the general concensus? I was planning on gathering a small group (4-5) of picasso clowns from different breeders but if it is better to start with 2 or even 2 pair in different tanks I would start that way.

2. The other problem I face it the tank setup. Is it better to have the breeding pair in a normal reef tank environment or a dedicated breeding tank. I almost hate to hide a beautiful pair of picassos away in my laundry room (where I keep my water change equipment and will be the site of rearing "facility") but I worry about tranferring them after they pair and disturbing them. It would be more practical to keep them out of the way while raising the parents, close to my RO and SW mixing barrels for easy water changes but I am not sure if it is a good idea to stick them back in a room by themselves where I cannot monitor them unless I venture back into the room. What are the opinions in this situations?

Those are all I have for now. Sorry for the uber long post but I appreciate any help.

sandyc

question 1. I agree with Wilkerson completely.
question 2. My breeding pair are in a 29 gallon reef tank. The best place to keep them is in a place where there will be minimal disruptions. The less traffic the better. It doesn't really matter if it is a reef tank or in a breeder tank in your laundry room.

Don't worry about asking questions. You will receive help here.:bluenod:

nanoty

Thanks for the help. I assume that two clowns that are already "paired" would be better off than two that have never been together. I found a "pair" of picassos that have not bred yet but seem to be showing signs of sexually changing for $350 which is about $100 more than a usual pair would cost but worth it to me if they are furthur along.

sandyc

You could get a "pair" or you could get one large fish and one that is very small. Unless you buy a pair, do not buy two big fish as they may both be female.

nanoty

Can anyone tell me about the offspring that the different grades with throw? I am wondering about the % of each grade different pair types with spawn like a pair of Grade Bs vs 1 Grade A and 1 Grade B or a pair of As.

yungreefer2410

i think it is random. i read a post on here that a dude had a breeding pair of naked clowns and out of 400 babies successfully raised only two were naked

nanoty

I assumed there was some "randomness" (is that even a word?) to it but there has to be something to the mutation to cause the picasso coloration. I've seen people breed Grade As to regular clown and throw picassos but didnt know if a pair of As just threw more than a pair of Bs or how it worked.