vermetid snails what worked for you?

BigJay

I've had them in my tank since day one. Recently I had a population explosion. Many of them right in my zoo colonies keeping the polyps closed up a lot of the time. I am going to do some fragging tommorrow so I can remove a few manually , but I read some reports that some types of hermits may prey on them. I have 3 blue legs in the tank and really would not be excited about adding any more claws. I also don't want to add a copperband.
What about superglue on the tubes?

nikkipigtails

I'm going to piggy back on this thread. I had an explosion of them in my tank too. They don't bother me except that they make my rock look all spikey.

I only have one in my tank, but I do have an empty one in there as well. I am hoping they don't multiply, because I really don't want anymore of these.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have literally hundreds of them all over my tank and although they're harmless FF although it can be quite painful to pick up or brush up against any rocks. I've had CBB's as well as different types of Wrasses and hermits and they've done nothing to curb their growth. I have several SPS that just grow over them and make some real cool structures but I guess the best way to control their growth would be to reduce dissolved nutrients.

BigJay

I was wondering if my addition of selcon might have spiked the reproduction but I think I saw them just before I started using it. They don't seem to bother too many things besides the zoos and maybe the mushrooms (allthough they don't seem to bother the ricordea). Its really obvious where they are irritating the zoo colony there is a perfect ring of closed polyps with a snail dead smack in the middle.
I am going to manually remove all the ones in the zoo colonies tommorrow but at the rate they have exploded in the tank I am wondering if they won't be right back within a few weeks.

BigJay

I am one of the stingiest feeders on the planet. I feed about a total of 2 to 2.5 cubes of food a week to my entire tank (30 or so corals , 5 fish , and inverts (shrimp,crabs,serpent star)). I just started adding selcon to the food. My current food is a combo of ground algae from my tank, mysis and prime reef with a little bit of selcon re-frozen in the prime reef trays.

BigJay

lol. Remember I also target feed everything. I almost never float anything in my tank. Other then the hair algae that came under the polyps of a piece of candy cane I have , I have no nuisance algae. I also have 7 different types of macros. 10% water change per week without fail. Skimmer running 24/7 and nitrates and phosphates are undetecable.

nikkipigtails

I dunno Jay. All I do know is that I noticed them multiplying when I was trying to get my anthias to eat. Now that I've got them on a good schedule, they're not multiplying anymore.

BigJay

this is what i noticed. Almost all the new snails are right next to corals and the ones on the tank are right at the over flow intake. They are probably feeding on coral poo.

seafansar

Super glue gel over the tops of them worked for me. I tried it on two bigger vermetid snails, not the small ones that are all over my tank, but I'm sure it would work on them too.

BigJay

I think I am going to give that a try. I've got nothing to loose by trying it. I don't mind a few in the tank but 20 gave way to 200 I don't want 200 to give way to 2000.

Hornet

I was wondering if my addition of selcon might have spiked the reproduction but I think I saw them just before I started using it.

I know this is a old thread but I figured I'd add something in case somebody else comes across it while searching for info. I came across this thread while searching for info about why I'm seeing more Vermetid snail tubes in my tank.

I also recently started using Selcon in my tank. Like BigJay I think I saw some tubes before using Selcon but recently I've been seeing a lot more. From other things I've read they are basically harmless, but I'd rather not see them keep popping up all over the tank. So I'm going to cut back on the Selcon for now.