Varden's Tank o'Learning

varden

My RO/DI unit arrived and Dear Hubby is studious setting it up with its own sink. Yay! We also bought T5 lights, which we'll hopefully get set up sometime this winter. Since I don't have any coral yet, I guess there's no rush.

Also, I've noticed two new inhabitants in my tank and two in my husband's. We've both got fan worms. I've only got 1 that I can see; he's got a dozen of them! I've also got a sponge of some type. It was white when I got home from vacation but it's pink now, probably from the purple algae growing on some of the rocks and on one part of the glass. As for the hubby's second hitchhiker, I have no idea what it is. He's going to try and get pictures tomorrow so hopefully you guys can identify it. The only thing I do know is that it's not aiptasia.

It looks like both tanks have completed the first part of the on-going cycling process. Ammona 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate (hubby) 0 (me) 20, ph (hubby) 8.0 (me) 7.8. So we picked up the hubby's first CUC: 6 snails, 3 each of the red leg and blue leg hermit crabs, and we each got an emerald crab. We also looked at some of the fish they had available. Hubby was keenly interested in the Red Scooter Blenny, and I've had to re-evaluate getting an Angler. I really like my invertebrates and I won't have most of them long with an Angler in the tank. Sadly, I'm not in a position yet to set up a species-specific tank. So I'm going back to square one to see what kind of companion fish will go well with the corals I want and the invertebrates.

The next phase as I see it is to start a phytoplankton culture going and seed both tanks and refugiums with copepods and rotifers.

Last edited:

yungreefer2410

i would not recommend you get a scooter blenny so soon. how big is you and your husbands tanks? scooter blenny's are very similar to manderins. Both of them are difficult to keep and they both prefer to eat food they find in the tank, mainly pods. you could try to get him to eat frozen food but that would probably be unsuccessful. just a heads up

varden

We aren't getting scooter just yet, but I am a little frustrated with the information available online and in the books regarding fish. All the information contradicts one another. How is anyone supposed to be able to plot out their tank when you can't trust what you're reading regarding how to take care of which animals?

I'd actually done some reading on Blennys last night and found out about their eating habits, which is why I said I need to seed and learn how to raise copepods, rotifers and phytoplankton. I need a steady food supply. So far we haven't bought any fish and probably won't for some time. My tank is a 54 gallon, his is 20 tall. He wants just one fish, but we haven't done any indepth research on what he wants yet to see if it's appropriate.

smkndrgn142

Welcome to the club! Your best bet is places like this where you can talk to people who've kept them in the past. Personally I've had luck getting them to feed on frozen and flake food, but it still wasn't enough. They require top quality water and a good population of pods...in my experience anyway.

varden

What about gobies? To be honest, the list of fish we were going to research is: Tribal Blenny, Red Scooter Blenny, Twin Spot Goby and Red Crown Algae Blenny.

Maybe I should look at nano fish for the hubby's tank.