UV vs. Supplements

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Boomer,
I will have my UV sterilizer online in the next day or two and I was wondering how it will alter any supplements I use. Specifically, iodide, strontium, and molybdenum. I was reading that the UV breaks the chelated bond in some forms of iodine making it extremely potent. Thanks in advance.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I dont' know where the heck that guy is :confused: He always seems so lost in the fog to me.

Maybe I can help.

It "should" have no effect on those. For 100% + it will not effect Sr or Mo.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
While doing some reading today on another Issue I ran into some stuff on Chelation and UV. The UV can break down chelated bondsand this is only an issue where said products have the potential of being toxic such as copper, where the copper is chelated and used to treat a disease. It can also alter medications as we mentioned before, through photo oxidation, making them ineffective. Iron may be an issue but usually it just gets oxidized and falls out of solution or just gets tied up with other organics. As far a Sr. goes it will not be an issue at all. Think of Sr like Ca++ or Mg ++. For the most part there is no reason for you to be adding these sup's to begin with, as they can not be measured with a test kit, par Sr/I. All these additives are rather low to begin with and should not be an issue with UV, as they will not deliver a high enough dosage to be anywhere near toxic. Large amounts of chelated Iodine would be the only concern.