• Aqua Medic In-line

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Custom Sea Life In line

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can anyone please tell me, if they know what UV sterlizer is the best, and/or are they worth the money. Pros and cons, please.

Spooda420

I use the Tetra 2 for ponds... on a 160 system (120 display and 40gal sump/ fuge action)

I use it mainly to help control the nasties...I know it also kills the good ones in the water colomn but its worth it to be ich/parasite free i think.

this will be a well debatable topic

C

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You'll hear different opinions. Some run them 24/7, some occasionally, and others never. Make sure you use the pump rating that the manufacturer recommends and get the largest wattage you can. Also, the slower the water moves past the UV light the better.

They can help control water-born algae as well as parasites. There are hang-on and In-line models. The in-line models probably work the best but I have a hang-on ('cus I didn't want to plumb it in :smirk: ). I only use mine if a disease warrants it.

dgasmd

I don't know about best. I do know that the wattage and the flowrate through them makes a huge difference. You need enough contact time.
I was under the impression that a single chamber UV filter with all the wattage there (example: 160 watt) was better than a unit that has several wattage units attached in series like 4 of the 40 watt units one after the other. However, I ahve heard otherwise since them. To be quite honest with you, I really don't know for sure. I am sure mojoreef would know though.
I currently have a 40 watt unit that probably tickles the bugs in my 560g system. This will be eventually up[graded to a 160 watt unit. Which? I don't know yet. Finances will dictate some of that.