UV Sterilizer question...

sailman

i currently have a problem with some ich in my tank.. i realize that uv sterilizers will not cure the ich problem but i know that the sterilizers will eliminate some of the free floating parasites..

ich seems to worse in the morning and as the day goes on it seems to look better and the fish seem to have less spots on them..

i have a 90 gallon reef tank with a wet/dry sump with a Cap 2200 pump that pumps 581 gallons per hour... i am looking for a sterilizer that would be comparable for this tank configuration

would this one work?

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ES77072

im looking for it to be inline on my return.

Scouter Steve

In order for UV to even have a chance to work on ich it has to be a very low flow. It might not be effective on your return. That said I use it 24/7.

lcstorc

Ideally, you would have a lower flow rate through the UV. The longer the water is in the sterilizer the more chance it has to work. Check the specs on the sterilizer you are considering. (The link didn't work.) It should have specs for the flow rate that is recommended.

sailman

To accommodate the Turbo-Twist 12X UV sterilizer, you will need a powerhead, pump or canster fliter that has a flow rate between 200 and 900 gallons per hour. Ok I got this off of the Coralife page.