UV steralizer

Chaos2110

what is everyones thought about in submergal steralizers? Do the kill coraline? Are they really good about keeping you water pure?

DaveK

Personally, I am not a big fan of UV. I have tried it, found the results marginal, and no longer use it.

Be that as it may, there are many that wouldn't set up a system with out it.

Keep in mind that it's only going to kill things that pass through it, so it will not eliminate coraline algae or any other algae growing on items in the tank.

They can kill algae spores and algae in the water. This is why you see them used in pond systems to keep green water under control.

If you do want UV, consider it a product to add only after you first have good lighting, and good filtration and circulation. UV will not make up for deficiencies in other areas.

I have a uv sterilizer and when I first got it I did not notice any change and it was more for show than anything else. After a few months I unpluge it and left it off for a a month or 2. I got a lot of algae problem in that time period. I reconected it and everything started to go back to normal. It does a lot more than I though. But like everything what works for one person doesn't work for other.