Using 'purified' water to top off

jimeluiz

I use RO/DI water 95% of the time to top off our tank. Every so often I run out of that water and don't have a chance to swing by the LFS to resupply - but the tank needs a top off. Most of the time in these cases I go to the local drug store and buy DISTILLED water for topping off.

On very rare occasions (like last night) the drug store is closed and I'm up against a ticking clock of evaporation. Our neighborhood corner stores don't carry distilled water, but have 'purified' drinking water.

I'm not concerned too much about a gallon of purified water screwing up the 70+ gallons circulating in our system, but I am curious if I am running any risk at all.

Any thoughts?

Witfull

does it state the prossess? it may only mean it was run through a carbon filter I.E. industrial Brita filter~

reefjitsu

You can usually get RO water from the Culligan machine at Wal-mart. Also, most drinking water has been run through RO. I can usually find at least one brand that has the filtering process listed on the label.

jimeluiz

duh -- read the label! Thanks - it reads: "Purified by reverse osmosis and/or deionization [that's good], filtered an ozonated to insure quality. Contains purified water with selected minerals (sodium bicarbonate, sodium sulfate) [hmmm - is that good?] added for taste."

Thanks guys...

BoomerD

For the amount you guys use, it's not that big of an issue. It's still much cleaner than the gunk that comes out of the tap. Be careful with distilled water. Often "steam distilled", and could contain copper traces from the distillation process.