Using Philips LEDs for fish tank?

jake9015

Hey guys i just talked to an engineer who wants to take my rsm tank and install Phillip LEDs in it. He has a tank with them already installed and it looks nice but if it grow corals is another story. He wants 220 to install. I think I can get him down to 190. Anyways what do you guys think? Need inputs fast ha

reeferman

personally,i wouldnt.not all leds are the same.some do not put out the appropriate wavelength for coral growth and color.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
personally,i wouldnt.not all leds are the same.some do not put out the appropriate wavelength for coral growth and color.

I agree with you to a point on this but the big difference is really intensity, most colored led's are in the same nm ranges, according to grow fixture manufacturers more 1w diodes are better than fewer 3 or 5 watt's, production costs are easier to manage with 3 and 5 watt during builds but more 1w diodes run cooler and produce more light for quite a bit less energy, no fancy drivers etc.

ChrisOaty

I agree with you to a point on this but the big difference is really intensity, most colored led's are in the same nm ranges, according to grow fixture manufacturers more 1w diodes are better than fewer 3 or 5 watt's, production costs are easier to manage with 3 and 5 watt during builds but more 1w diodes run cooler and produce more light for quite a bit less energy, no fancy drivers etc.

Are you positive about this Sas? I was always under the impression that less diodes with higher wattage is not only more efficient but much better for light penetration. :willis:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Are you positive about this Sas? I was always under the impression that less diodes with higher wattage is not only more efficient but much better for light penetration. :willis:

sorry Im not going to link to umm "grow" type sites higher the power the less efficiency and more heat, you can overdrive led's to a point where failure is sooner, 1w diodes are designed to work at max power, a 3w diode is actually driven at 2watts, any more they die sooner.Penetration yes more is better but? it depends on the beam spread

reeferman

i tend to disagree also.look at all the major led reef fixture manufacturers,i doubt you will find a 1w led in them.thermal management is definitely key though,if it gets too hot,it doesnt matter if its a 1w or 100w,it wont last or be efficient.
to op,i recommend you pm Bill or Rick at Reefledlights.com[a sponsor on here]and they can guide you in the right direction.like i said,not all leds are created equal.for instance,most cool whites are around the 4.5-5k[real yellow] whereas the premium bins meant for reefs are 7.5k[crisp white].the others are great for growing plants,like nuissance algae.

steved13

PREMIUM
I've also understood 1w do not penetrate well, fewer higher watts are better.

I'm not sure the "grow" (through air)sites info, would be transferable to aquarium use (through water).

reeferman

not very transferable.in reefs,we are not only concerned with growth but color as well.thats where high quality bins come in.we could grow corals with 5 k leds but they would look like crap.the grow sites are only concerned with growth,not appearance.it doesnt matter if your Maui Wowie looks a little yellow.

reeferman

also,why would the 1w driven at full power be more likely to last longer or be more efficient than a 3w driven at 2/3rds power?doesnt add up to me.it seems if you have to have at least twice as many 1w to match 3w output,how is that running more efficient?

carlfike

I use the home depot Ge led bulbs for my sump. Grows algae great and I have a Kenya tree growing in there.

reeferman

i use a par 38 bulb from lowes in my fuge also.it grows the crap outta macro but it wont do much for color on corals.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
"The wattage of a LED is determined by the amperage they are driven at, with 1W LEDs driven at 350mA, and 3W LEDs driven at 700mA. Despite the fact that 3W LEDs are driven at double the amperage of a 1W, and normally consume only 2W of actual power, LED manufacturers have labeled them a 3W. It’s easy to ask yourself “then why did LED manufacturers name these LEDs 3W instead of 2W?” Perhaps it is simply a marketing trick, or just a label meant to confuse us. Whatever the reason it is important to note that anything labeled a 3W LED, is by all intents and purposes a 2W LED."
Its very confusing to the electrically challenged (lol me!) penetration is important but that depends on depth, blues and whites are pretty common now for 1 w, I think the thing with reef lighting is the rbg diodes and they have some very odd power issues as well