Using contents from old tank into a new one...

mitcheva

Hi! (first post)

Ok, I've been trying to work out whether this is going to be a good thing, a bad thing or have no impact at all what so ever...

Currently, I have a small little marine set up - about 90L. Been going now for about 12 months. Live rock, corals, fish, inverts etc

I'm upgrading to a Red Sea Max 250. To enhance the cycling process, would I be best to use some of the water and live rock that is in my current tank and put it in the new one? Or will this have an adverse effect on it? (whilst be careful not to take too much from the existing tank!)

I'll definately be adding photos/journal etc when my tank gets going (and arrives...hate this waiting!)

Thanks for any suggestions

squidy

First off, WELCOME!!

Transferring the water wouldnt help speed up the cycling much, but utilizing your live rock and sand will most defiantly help things along. I used all live sand and live rock from both my 45g and purchased the rest from those breaking down their tanks. It cycled in 2 weeks and has all my coral, fish, and even the anemone 1 month after cycling. Now this doesnt mean Im doing things the "right" way, but it worked for me and I test my water daily because it is a new tank. Best of luck and keep us posted.

seafansar

Using your old live rock, sand, and water is fine. As long as you don't add any "uncured" liverock or sand that will add ammonia and just add new clean sand and base or good live rock, you should should be good to go. I don't know if I was just lucky, but I used new sand, good liverock, and new saltwater to start up my 150. It was up for only 2 days before I had to put my fish and corals into it (had to tear down my 125 in my old house) and I didn't have any problems. If I had a cycle, it wasn't enough to hurt anything that I could tell.

did the same when i moved. tank never cycled. i had a 40 breeder then went to a 75 . never had any cycling issues. no deaths