Using Baking Soda to raise Alk

framerguy

Don't ask me. I just read Randy's articles and go to where he says what to do. If it isn't there then I ask Boomer. Chemistry makes my head hurt. Maybe someday I will understand but not yet.
Dont take this the wrong way but I'm so happy I'm not alone!! Chemistry stinks :surrender:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Tru2nr

Yes , that is correct.

So why the two ? For a simple a answer, baked baking soda is much more powerful than baking soda. And to be more simple: 1 unit of baked baking soda will raise the Alk 2 Alk units. And it will take 2 units of baking soda to get the same 2 Alk rise.

Also this is want is in baking soda HCO3-. See that H and pH is a function of how much H there is in water. The lower the pH the more H there is. See this form baked baking soda CO3--. Note there is no H, so it really can boost the pH as it add none. In short, it take 2 of these HCO3- to make one of these CO3--. Note the - vs --, which means twice as much. Now don't anyone run with this to the nearest chem. prof, it is a Dick & Jane explanation.

Ok it is time now for a :hug1:

And no more :nopity:

When were these added, I like them:lol:

Tru2nr

can we keep this thread going cuz i like to beat_dead_horse ...hehe i just wanted to use this icon