Uronema Marinum

Kirblit

Lee,
I just got a fish from an LFS that I trust completely in their disease diagnosis and treatment, but I always like a second, third,..... opinion on these things. He recently had a fish die in one of their QT tanks that they keep new fish in, and I bought a midas blenny out of it about 2 days prior (he's in my QT for the next 10 weeks, I learned my lessons). They did a necropsy (as always when a fish dies) and he said it looked like Uronema (under microscope). I know that this is a opperotunistic disease that normally feeds on bacteria and that it's easily avoided with good water quality, and that it infects fish with week immune systems. Should I be worried about him? He seems fine and eats great (typical midas), I have been observing for any weird behavior but have seen none, and I don't know if I should take a proactive approach to it or not.

leebca

I'm still uncertain of the situation. Sorry. I don't understand.

The ill fish AND the Blenny were (alive) in the same QT at the same time?

The Blenny was bought before the ill fish died and they were together?

Uronema creating uronemosis in marine fishes show outward signs of infection on the fish, usually before death. This would need to be coupled with the microscopic confirmation that the protozoan (Uronema marinum) has infected the fish's tissue, specifically the muscle tissue. These protozoa eat red blood cells inside the fish. They are visible usually when a proper histological section of a lesion or muscle is performed so they stand out by contrast. This is a rather sophisticated histological process.

If your LFS actually did this, then I'd say they were quite advanced in necropsy and histological diagnosis. Without this diagnostic process, this protozoan looks quite a bit like about several dozen protozoan that infect marine fishes.

You should note that if their diagnosis is correct, then they have the problem of infecting their entire marine fish livestock. This is a protozoan that can be easily get everywhere by even the small droplet or by human hands. Their whole shop should be quarantined. No fish should leave the shop until the matter is resolved either by verifying this protozoa is not the culprit or the treatment of all water and fishes in the store.

This is ONE of the reasons I recommend that all newly acquired fish be given a freshwater dip. I don't suppose you did this? If you had, like I do to all my newly acquired fish, this parasite still on the surface of the fish would not likely survive the bath.

What you could do is this:
Don't touch the water and let no one else touch the water. Keep all people away from the QT. Only you will get near it and then, only wearing gloves such that no water can get inside (arm-length gloves if the QT is deep).

Start another QT with brand new water and DON'T let any water from your current QT get into it. Use only new equipment or equipment cleaned to kill all parasites (see: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/31684-tank-cleanup-procedures.html).

Then, give the fish a freshwater bath as I've described here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/31523-freshwater-dip-process.html.

When the bath is over, put the fish into the NEW QT. Disinfect the old QT and equipment or throw them out. (Don't forget to use gloves).

The above would be the way to proceed IF the fish has been truly exposed to uronemosis. IF the fish shows signs of infection, the way forward would be to perform the FW dip as described and then followed by a long Formalin bath.

Once the protozoa get into the fish's tissue or becomes a systemic infection, the fish is usually unable to recover. I euthanize all fish I believe to have this infection and don't even put them into my QT. Remember that this protozoa needs no fish host to live in the aquarium.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Kirblit

Sorry Lee I have been a little busy,

The blenny was purchased before the other fish died and they were in the same tank.

The guy at the LFS is pretty good and has a lot of knowledge about marine fish, and freshwater fish. He was mentored by Lance Ichinotsubo and worked at Rainbow Seascapes with him for quite a few years. He does scrapings and clippings on any fish that dies to see if he can determine a pathogenic cause, but I don't know if he went as in depth as you are speaking.

I have had the midas for a little over a week (they had him for 2 prior to that) and he's still doing great and acting fine. I plan on QTing him for at least 10 weeks (my new common practice), in this time he would surly show signs if it truly was Uronema, or if it was something else wouldn't he?
He is in a 20 gallon tank so it should multiply very quickly on him anyway shouldn't it?
I know that they just use cell division and multiply VERY fast so I should see something sooner than later correct?
It's hard to find a lot of info on Uronema but everything I have heard is that it's really bad. I hope that it's not Uronema and he just saw something else. I will watch for any of the early warning signs associated with this disease as I know once they get the lesions they are pretty much gone, or should I treat him with formalin just in case?

leebca

It will show up within that time period. I have no doubt. You seem to understand that once it shows, there is little chance for survival after that. That is what makes this such a lousy parasite -- once the parasite goes systemic or in fish tissue, the fish is pretty much on a one-way path to fish heaven. :(

I would only treat the fish depending upon how confident you are that the LFS is correct in their diagnosis. IF you are sure; treat the fish if you want a much bigger chance for its survival.

Kirblit

Thanks, I will watch him closely and investigate more into the necropsy of the other fish. When doing a QT process 10 weeks should be enough time that any pathogenic disease would have to show itself somehow right? I mean in a 20 gallon any parasite should multiply fast enough that you would have to see signs. This should be a long enough period of time that you could be about 98-99% sure that the fish is healthy right? I know some people just treat prophylacticly, but I don't really agree with that, except for de-worming, I do that every time. Is there anything that I should use a prophylactic treatment for besides worming, or broad spectrum antibiotics if they haven't had one (kanamyacin, neomyacin, furanaise)?

leebca

Your thinking is on track. Keeping in mind that the reason we 'see evidence' of a disease during quarantine is a matter of how large the QT is and the reproduction of the pathogen.

6 weeks will provide about a 99% level of confidence. I think the 10 weeks should provide about a 99.3% level of confidence. Surprisingly (?) after 6 weeks, there is little to gain, IF the quarantine process is run properly and diligently. During the quarantine process, these percentages vary and are directly related to how well the hobbyist inspects, visits, watches and then notices small changes in behavior, breathing, and other subtle indicators of stress (above and beyond the stress of being captive).

I suggest prophylactic treatment on all fishes by performing de-worming and the FW bath upon acquisition; Anemonefishes for Brooklynellosis; and a prophylactic copper treatment on all Acanthurus sp. Tangs. You may review the end of this post for that info: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/27305-acclimation-i-know.html

:spinner: