URGENT -- electrical question

I just about had a fire, one of my extension cords got soaked and shorted out, i caught it in time that it only burnt a 1/2 inch spot of carpet....

i unplugged it faster then i could say reef.

now i dont smell anything, nor do i see any smoke, but im still kinda parinoid that the wires started to burn inside the walls....

am i worrying un necessarily (theres nothing plugged into that outlet)

BLAKEJOHN

Chances are that where the cord had burnt is were the short happened. I too would be worried about a fire in the wall. although, Your breaker should blow before the wires burn in the wall as that is how it is designed.

BLAKEJOHN

let it be a lesson that all cords should be off of the floor and have a drip loop in them around our tanks. Also it would be wise to replace any outlets around your tank with GFI's.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
+1 with Blake

I had the happen once but it was actually the outlet that burst into flames and I could see the glow from behind the cover as well as the obvious flames. Once unplugged everything went out imediately and the breaker did trip. I actually knocked a hole in the wall after calling off work ;) no damage behind the scenes.

What I notices is the only thing in there is fire retardant, drywall, insulation, 2x4s that would burn but would take more than the few seconds of what seemed close to an exsplosion of flame to get them started. Keep checking the wall for heat and be aleart but more than likely you are ok.

My .02

BLAKEJOHN

A drip loop is nothing but makeing the cord loop under the socket. So if water happens to get on the cord gravity will alow it to run down and then fall off berfore it can get to the socket. So your cord would run down from your tank near the floor and back up to the outlet creating a letter J
Dscn1849a.jpg