Urchin I.D. please.

vdituri

This guy came in on a rock with some red macro algae.
He is currently cooling his jets in my QT tank.
Any chance he/she is reef safe?
I've been looking on line for an hour and the best I could come up with was Eucidaris Metularia? But could not find info on them.
It seems like algae eater, but would like some reassurance on that.

Attachments

• unknow hitchhiker.JPG
    unknow hitchhiker.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 83

vdituri

Thanks Dent! Some for the I.D., but if I could I would give you a bazillion karma's for the website. Been looking for something like this.

vdituri

Sorry, forgot to ask Scott, but is it an algae eater a 55 gallon tank could cope with? Regular algae or coraline?
I'm running a mixed reef with softies, LPS and SPS.

charlesr1958

Do keep in mind though that sea urchins, while grazing algae, are indescrimate in what they eat. During their grazing, if a small invert, coralline algae or coral happens to be on the same path, the urchin will most likely consume it as well. Which is why I remove all urchins that hitch hike in as they are not what I would call reef safe.

Chuck

blue_eyes53813

Urchins are cool looking but will also rip soft corals as they graze the tank. I got a hitchhiker and it is in the sump.

DrHank

And as another negative, large ones seem to be experts in rearranging your aquascape. They seem to know just how to push things out of their way and away from where you intended them to be.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Scott

Good ID :D

Also, it may be Eucidaris tribuloids

Eucidaris metularia
12.jpg

Eucidaris tribuloides
0007.jpeg