unknown worm

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Well Witt, I found that worm image I was looking for. It has the same general appearance as yours, body shape, color pattern, only yours has a larger length to width ratio ( yours is skinner). In my image I do not see, from the image, those distinct poda ( feet) like yours. It is a Odontosyllis, a Syllid and there are no images on the net. The pic is in ;

Coral Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific, page 118 image 401

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Boomer - I saw that worm earlier today, and wondered if it was the same. That was when I went to Ron's forum and found the Syllid worm in reference to Goniopora. Based on Wit's description of just recently acquiring one, I used it instead of the Odontosyllis sp. (and I couldn't find any images to post, other than what's in the book). I also can't make out any distinguishing characteristics on the head of the worm in the book.

Wit - here is what the book says:

Odontosyllis sp.

Identification: This species of polychaete can be distinguished by its white body with black lines between segments.

Natural History: This species appears to be associated with sponges, under rubble on shallow reefs.

Distribution: Australia (Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia).

Anyway - hope this helps

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Nikki

Post Witt's worm on Ron's forum. I would just for doo-do and smiles but he will think it is some kind of trick, because of the last marine worm ID there.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Will do - I'll shoot Wit a PM and make sure its fine first :), then read Ron's forum posting rules to make sure I don't post on the wrong day. He can be a stickler about that :D

Wit - if you still have the worm and would like me to post to Ron, I've seen him ask this before....can you put it in a clear glass and take a pic of it with a white background (already did this I guess with the container its in) and a black background. According to Ron, different structures will become evident by switching the background.