unknown worm

Witfull

Ohhh Boomer~~~

i found this guy on my toadstool leather frag today. first time seeing it ever. mobile and active. movement reminds me of an earthworm.

Attachments

• unknown-worm.jpg
    unknown-worm.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 124
  • unknown-worm2.jpg
    unknown-worm2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 121
  • unknown-worm3.jpg
    unknown-worm3.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 121

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I think it is a crab reincarnated to an evil worm that wants to wreak havoc in your tank.... :eek:

G

Gymshoes

That dime really puts things in perspective. From the initial larger-than-life images I thought you'd snagged a sea monster! ;)

As a clueless newbie, I'm hesitant to make a guess...but if I were going to guess, I'd guess some kind of bristleworm. If the bands are segments, then it has to be some kind of Annelida...of which there are only 15,000 to choose from. ;) Any sign of damage on that leather toadstool frag? At the risk of maligning an innocent worm, my gut feeling is this guy isn't harmless.

I'll go back through some of the worm sites I surfed searching for my hitchhikers and let you know if I find anything.

Newt

Wit, I found one of those on a gonipora at work two days ago. I pulled it off and put it in a cup to save it for our store manager to try to ID but someone threw it away. It was that exact worm, but the main body was overall lighter...still had the strings coming from the sides with the little balls on the end of them, and it too looked similar in size.

It will be interesting to see what it is, I was thinking it could've been the unidentified cause of the gonipora problem...LOL Bye bye nobel prize. :)

Just taggin' along!

OHHHHHH Boomer!

Newt

Hmmm... Maybe just an odd coincidence, or a groundbreaking discovery.

Where's boom when you need him?

NaH2O

Contributing Member
My guess is some type of Syllidae worm. In your picture it appears to have those hair looking things coming off the sides of the worm. I found this thread, that might help out a bit: Strange Worm. Here is a close-up followed by a quote:

worm6.jpg

I've spotted a couple more on other gonioporas at my LFS from time to time. I guess they are either common on goniopora or at least common where ever they get their goniopora from.

Hope this helps...at least to get the wheels turning.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Hmm...I couldn't tell if those were shadows or not. Can you get a closer pic of its head?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
http://personal.cityu.edu.hk/~bhworm/errant/

Witt

Try the above for help. All I can say is to agree that it may be a Syllid. You would think I could find some kind of image almost like yours, but afrer 1 hr on Googles and books so far no deal :( I'll keep lookin' :) I swear to God I have seen an image similar to yours somewhere in one of my ID books. I have not looked at all of them yet.

G

Gymshoes

I, too, have spent an hour or more combing the web looking for a polychaete that matches yours. The red and white banding is very distinctive and I've googled everything from scientific names to common names and haven't found a match. Don't know if this means your worm is rare---or just camera shy. ;)

For what it's worth here's the notes I've copy and pasted.

Annelids all have segments. Within this phyllum..."Most oligochaetes and polychaetes possess setae (paired, chitinous lateral bristles -- thus the common name, 'bristleworms') on each segment to increase friction with the substratum during movement, allowing the animals to crawl and burrow with greater efficiency." So we know you have "A Bristleworm"---in a very general sense.

I'm no good at this ID stuff...I can't even narrow it down to family. The best I can do is this:

Phyllum: Annelida
Class: Polychaeta
Family...one of the ones on this page http://www.calacademy.org/research/izg/SFBay2K/Polychaeta_errant.htm It lists the more mobile members of the Polychaeta class. It doesn't have nearly enough photos (only two of Syllids).

Sorry I couldn't do better, but I'm a newbie to reefkeeping---give me a few more years. ;)

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Dave - check this site: Key to Polychaete Identification. Since you have seen this worm close up, you maybe able to come up with the worm. If you aren't sure what the question means, you can click on it to see a pic of what they are asking. I entered somethings that I could see off the photo and Syllidae came up as one option.

Hope this helps

reefjitsu

It looks like a worm that I had in my refugium, except the one I had built a tube out of shells and gravel. Kinda like a caddis fly larvae. This guy could shoot back into his little tube at incredible speed, even with his body fully extended. I never could get a picture because he was so fast. Anyway, The structure that this worm had built was very inconspicuous and you probably wouldn't notice if you weren't looking for it. Maybe you caught this worm out of his little home somehow, or before he built one in your tank? I never could identify the one I had, but it was identical to the one in your pic.