Unknown Shrimp

Tha DJ

SORRY I MEANT UNKNOWN SHRIMP! my bad

Hey all.. Just wondering if you could help me out.. My tank is 3 weeks old and I am still getting the water right so I have not stocked it as yet.

it has one banded coral shrip
4 hermit crabs
and a blue damzil
25 kg live rock

had to put something in the tank for now.

Anyway aopn feeding I noticed there is another shrip in my tank I dont know how he got there. Maybe through my live rock. Which came in a bag with no water. he is a bit longer than your thumb nail and has a faint red vertical stripe. to tiny pincers and a lobster like tail... and feelers in the front. LOL

Any Ideas or suggestions ?

Could my coral banded shrip have had babies ? I am a complete newbie at marine keeping. So Im still getting the basics.

Regards

Tha DJ

PS Please help.. :chomp:

lcstorc

Re: Unknown Shrip

Sounds like you do have the tank stocked already.
No ideas on the shrimp without a pic. Possibly a cleaner shrimp but I would be suprised if you got one of those as a hitchiker.

Tha DJ

LOL Lynn ... Its not stocked. Thanks for your reply. a pic is nearly impossible as he is very fast moving and hides all the time. hmmm. I was surprised and happy to see him though. Wish I knew what he is. Hope he is a kracker shrimp. always wanted one lol

lcstorc

Hate to tell you, but that is stocked. Perhaps not fully stocked but once you put anything live in the tank particularly a fish it is considered stocked.

I believe you are referring to a pistol shrimp. If it is then you should hear a popping sound once in a while. A pistol shrimp is very possible as a hitchiker. So is a mantis shrimp. They are both frequent hitchikers on LR.

rmlevasseur

careful if its a mantis. You should do some reading on them.

If you are lucky your liverock has cycled your tank. If not, you could lose most of those critters.

Tha DJ

hmmm a mantis ? I will do some research... My water quality is good so far. Doing frequent water changes and water tests. Thanks for all your help.