Unidentified Slug!

LeslieH

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I've been reading posts here for a while but since Boomer & everyone have things pretty well under control I haven't posted much.

Chitons are pretty cool. As Reefjitsu pointed out many of them do carve out homes for themselves that they return to every day so the shape is pretty characteristic. The deeper the hole the harder it is for a predator to get hold of one. The two drawbacks to chitons are that they may graze desirable corallines and since they rasp off algae with their radule (file-like teeth) they might damage plastic tank walls or equipment.

KimPossible

I have several in the 55 that is due for transfer in the next couple of weeks. Since my chitons are on my glass (they hide out at subtrate level during the day and I can see them) I have been wondering how I am going to lift them off the glass....any advise?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Kim I'm no Chiton expert, but mine did not like the flash light and quickly peeled itself off the tank glass and fell to the bottom when I beamed it with light. You could try a strong beam of light.

Thanks Woody! Just what I needed-another cool pet!:lol:

KimPossible

No not mine, they just move back down the glass back into the substrate.
Boomer suggested GENTLY using a paint scraper. The pic he attached to the PM had a taperd edge. I'll let you know how it goes.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Les

Have you ever been asked or thought about going to IMAC or MACNA and doing a prest. on Worms ?

LeslieH

Never been asked, never thought about it. Might be interesting if I didn't get the jitters about being a tank poser in front of hundreds of tank fanatics.....

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I didn't get the jitters about being a tank poser in front of hundreds of tank fanatics.....[b/]

Reason me no speak also :D

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
My Chiton materialized tonight and I got a picture of the dorsal surface just for Boomer!:lol:
P1010002.jpg

This sucker is 3" long. Kinda pretty and moves with good speed.