Ugly tank syndrome

brackish10

My reef is about 6 months along and going through uts... I use ro water mixed with io reef crystals. 2x a week water changes (10% each). heres pictures. any suggestions? my water params are perfect.
CAM01282.jpg

CAM01281.jpg

CAM01280.jpg

wscttwolfe

what kind of substrate is that? looks like its too chunky = traps detritus.

your water params are perfect because the algae is growing off of your excess nitrate and phosphate. decrease feeding, add more clean up crew, and run CPE/purigen

where are you getting your RO water from? If LFS, then their RO unit probably has dirty filters. Check yours/their TDS.

AC273

Looks like u have a hob filter or fuge. Drop some phosguard and gfo in there and see if that helps.

X2 on the substrate. Although I have seen other reef tanks like this. They generally run a sump with sand and live rock to make up for the displays lack of sandbed.

DaveK

In addition to the above replies, it looks like you don't have nearly enough LR. You would generally want about 10 - 15 lbs. I especially agree with the posts on the substrata. It seems to be much too course, making it a food and dirt trap.

Honestly I don't think it looks too ugly compared to some I've seen. I'd add some more LR or dry rock just cause it looks kinda sparse in there and it could hide the back of the tank a bit. Also, some micro hermits and snails will help in clean up duties. I don't see many CUC, maybe I'm missing them in the pics.

Not like it's a ULNS SPS tank (pretty sure thats not OPs intent right now) but on the way to a real nice softie tank for sure. Look at the Garf.org website, they run what most would consider high nutrient tanks, but they look very natural and what most new tank owners can shoot for while they learn. :wave: