ughh...its been a hellish day for me in freshwater world...

tomr33

so i decided to make my 55g oscar tank a predominantly angel fish tank today...last week my oscar died so i wanted to do something different...i have a 55g tank that house 1 oscar and 3 gouramis and i just think that a tank that size should have more fish...so i went to the store today and bought there shipment that they were just getting from them which was 6 medium to small angels...then i bought some neon tetras...i got 15 of those....i got them all acclimated and situated and released them into their new home...well needless to say a couple hours later i go check on them and 2 are swimming kind of funny...so i leave them be and come back 15 mins later one has pinned himself between the flower pot and glass dead...and the other is doing the upside down dance swim...and the rest are huddled up in the corner next to my heater...so something just isnt right...so i whip out my test kit..well what i had with me at the time which was the ammonia test and trate test...ammonia comes up between 0 and .25...so i treat the water with some prime and check later...0 amm 30 mins later....then i have the crappy little all in 1 test strips so i dunk one of those in and my trites are ok my trates are in reason the amm is good the ph is a little low according to that test...
so i take my 2 dead fish back to the lfs because of the 7 day warranty and figure ill walk out with 2 new ones...that wasnt the case...my water came back no good...they test it and say the ph is bottomed out on their test...which is 6..i talk to the lady she says try ph up blah blah blah and then i go to leave and they start banging on the window for me to come back in...well the freshwater lady tells me your ph is way to low and it is actually burning the fish you need to get them out asap...i have no where to put them so she said bring them back to the store and ill give you a credit so when your tank is ready you can come get more...so i go back to the tank and grab my dads ph meter...the reading was 3.24!!!! i just did a water change yesterday and come to find out without knowing the buckets i grabbed had RODI water in them not my tap water i had left in them the day before...my dad emptied them and filled them up with rodi water the last 2 times i changed my water...so i did 2 20g water changes in a month and it turned my tank into an acid pit...so needless to say i was running around wit my head cut off trying to save my over 130 dollar fish purchase today...i lost 2 the 7 angels are at the store safe in their tanks until i can get my tank back up to the right ph...not a good day in my shoes today thats for sure...

Luukosian

ouch, mistakes like that are frustrating but it happens man. Bet straight ro/di would suck up buffer pretty quick though.

Creekview

so i go back to the tank and grab my dads ph meter...the reading was 3.24!!!!

Damn dude, they weren't burned, they were pickled! Vinegars have a ph range of 2.4-3.4. Add some olive oil, a little Parmesan cheese, and u got Caesar Salad dressing using neons instead of anchovies!

DaveK

When you have a FW tank get this far out, I'd say your best bet is to tear the tank down and start over. Yes, you will need to recycle the tank before readding fish.

Also, in FW, if your going to use RO/DI water, you must build the GH and KH back up. Usually you want the reading about 4 - 8 degrees for GH and 4 - 8 degrees for KH. Test your tap water.

As for your pH reading. With the very low GH and KH readings of RO water, it doesn't tank much to throw it way off. In theory you could add GH builder and KH builder to get the tank back to normal, but I don't recommend this since the tank is already messed up.

I would also reconsider the neons if you want angels in the tank. Angels will grow quickly and eat your neons. It's best to pick one or the other.