U guys pick the equipment!

tekjunkie28

55 gallon tank with 10 gallon sump ( probably only enough room to be refugium). I need a overflow and pump. Mine original choice is eshopps 300 overflow with mag drive 5 pump. I need to save $$ on this so anyone that can chime in would be wanted. And how
Much turn over do u need. I want a reef tank with some soft corals such as scan and zoas and such.

Anselth

You probably don't need a lot of flow in a 55. check out Lifereef and, if you are comfortable with it, or know someone who can drill glass, Glass Holes . I have a lifereef overflow and have never had an issue with it (except when I cracked one of the U-tubes when I was cleaning it out).

One thing to remember about an overflow box is that you can't go too big. Your pump is the limiting factor when determining flow - you can outpump the overflow, but the overflow won't outdrain the pump. If you're planning on only having a fuge, you don't want a lot of flow going through it. Check out the Head loss calculator. You probably only want 250 gph going through the fuge, making up the erst with powerheads.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I also have a lifereef overflow and it has been running for 3 years and never a problem, highly recommended.

tekjunkie28

What sump should I get? I can't drill glass it's tempered. And how should I go about discharging water into tank from pump. I may put my skimmer in fuge but I can't find one that will fit in my cabinet.

Anselth

The simplest way is to build a PVC run up from the pump, over the lip of the tank, and back down. You can then put an elbow or a T fitting (not glued, so you can rotate it) on the bottom of the PVC to deflect flow out into the tank. You can also use locline to direct flow once you get into the tank, which is flexible and available in several configurations. Just remember to drill a hole or two in the return plumbing just below the water level, in order to break the siphon when the return pump is off. Otherwise you'll siphon all of the water out of your DT into the sump, then onto the floor when the sump runs out of room.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Warning: All panels of glass on 55 gallon tanks are tempered and will shatter if you attempt to drill them.

tekjunkie28

I can only fit a 10 gallon tank under my cabinet. 22 3/4L x 11D x 18H is all I have to work with, but I have to these areas that has a solid divider between them. What pump should I use?

Anselth

If you're going to run a fuge under the tank, look at the Sicce 1.5. At 3 feet of head, it will push about 250 gph, which is right around what you want. The Eheim 1250 should be about the same, though it's more expensive. The Mag Drive 3 is also similar, slightly cheaper, but draws 50% more wattage (35 vs. 23) and the Sicces are rumoured to be much quieter.

I've no idea about an in-tank fuge. There are some well-reviewed HOB fuges, But I would go with a HOB skimmer and the fuge below, since you want your light on reverse cycle, and that can therefore be hidden under the stand.

ost911

i do beleive its a myth on not being able to drill tempered glass. we have cut tempered glass where i work w a hole saw. but we use anchor lube, a continous edge solid carbide hole saw.

carlfike

i do beleive its a myth on not being able to drill tempered glass. we have cut tempered glass where i work w a hole saw. but we use anchor lube, a continous edge solid carbide hole saw.

I've tried it a couple times. Never turns out well and ended in stitches once.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

sk8rdn

ost911 said:

It is not a myth. Ask Devon (Built347). He has pics.

....Salt Changes Everything....

dmatt88

Mythbusters. Get out the camera n a hole saw.

........cutting n glueing living things to stuff. who'd have thought

dmatt88

Hell no matter how it turns out there's always Americas funniest.

........cutting n glueing living things to stuff. who'd have thought

tekjunkie28

Lol well I got all kinda of stuff on Craigslist today and no one has called me back. Right now I have 2 maxi jet 900's for power heads. They are not the turbine ones tho. Thinking about getting 2 koralia Evo 550 or 750. How do I determine turnover I need?

BTW peppermint shrimp and 50 heads of Aiptasia = fat shrimp. Almost all my Aiptasia is gone in 8 hrs!!

If I can get a in tank fuge and some macro today at the local store I might jump on it. And use that as a quarantine later on. I'd like to get my phosphates and nitrates down since I have shrimp and a orange plate coral id like to keep alive.

tekjunkie28

I have looked at several lights and and I'm looking for anything below $400 for a 48" fixture t5 or a LED if possible. Was looking at aquatic life t5 HO with 3 channel digital timer or a current USA NOVA extreme 4x54 watt fixture. What else is in that range that yall can recommend.

I should add I would like to have some Zoas acans ricordia mushrooms. But not go over board with price.