Types of Brain coral ?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I picked this up yesterday at a LFS and she just called it a brain coral. What exactly is it and what are it's "special" needs?

PS sorry for the quality of the pic... I used my camera phone as I was running out the door to work..

Attachments

• Brain.jpg
    Brain.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 124

XBwlr

Thanks :) I couldn't resist it when I saw it! It's gonna look SWEET in my tank once it's done cycling :)

A.

When it's done cycling? You've got that brain in a cycling tank?

If so, that ain't good. If not, then sorry for reading your post wrong. :smirk:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
When it's done cycling? You've got that brain in a cycling tank?

If so, that ain't good. If not, then sorry for reading your post wrong. :smirk:

No it's in my HOME tank while my new Nano-Cube in the office is just getting set-up. Heck it's not even REALLY cycling yet... just added sand night before last and the LR isn't here yet.

No need for concern... it's in an established tank just waiting for the new one to be ready for "critters".

Allen :)

PS I edited that post just in case it seems that way to anyone else... don't want to make it look like I am a coral abuser/killer at least not intentionally so :)

XBwlr

Whew...

Had me worried for a minute. :bugout:

That's too nice of a brain to just throw in a tank.

Best of Luck with it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Many different types of Brains...
Trachyphyllia
lobophyllia
Wellsophyllia
platygyra

Yours is a platygyra.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=445

BTW.. it is beautiful! :thumbup:

Ok the LFS said I didn't need to do ANYTHING to keep this coral.... he didn't even ASK what type of lights I had (this is the not so friendly LFS). My current tank has some upgraded lights (coral life 96w 50/50 nothing GREAT) but is that enough for a couple of weeks? What/when do I need to feed it? How do I feed it? It's such a beautiful creature and I don't want to jeopardize it's long term success. I would rather take it back to LFS or better yet trade it to someone who CAN keep it long term.

Ideas?
Suggestions?
Donations?

Allen

goldenmean

I think you can keep him under your lights.
I have a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi (open Brain) in my 10g nano under 32w pc
for over a year and he is doing great. I feed him a little brine or mysis shrimp once in a while. check out the liveaquaria link in the post above.
It gives some feeding advice.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Update !!!

My brain got "Stung" by my new "FrogSpawn" recently. At least that's what I assume happened. I was in the middle of redoing my aquascaping and left the small frag of FrogSpawn down low on the sand up beside My brain. 2 days later there is this dark looking spot on the same side the FrogSpawn was on. I assume he sent out his stinger tentacle over night and zapped it. I moved the FrogSpawn up HIGH on a rock and hope the brain recovers. Anything esle I can/should do?

Also does the brain need to stay down on the DSB or can it be "mounted/epoxied" up higher on the rockwork?

Allen :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Keep an eye on the injury and make sure it does not spread. If so, dipping in in an iodine solution will help. I keep my brain in the sand but I'm not sure if they do as well on the rocks.

goldenmean

Hey Big Al
Glad you quickly figgered out that the FrogSpawn was attacking the Brain and moved him away quickly.

Brains should be in the substrate.
That is where they are found in the reef.
If you epoxy him into the rock work when he swells up he could injure his flesh on the rock. Im not sure sure how he would take to the epoxy either.

I bet he recovers well from the stinging.