tye 55 gal try for the reef

aquatic fun

howdy I have been dabbling for a while with salt water and I am trying to go the distance with a reef I know its going to take alot of work and time. for starters I am a beginner I have a wet dry I would like to convert into refugium in the future I am using purple up to grow the Coraline I will need help from lots of people who has been there and done that. so if you want to watch as things progress this link is one I hope to keep up with as a journal the how it goes.

aquatic fun

hey first question of the week I have had a million problems with the wet dry it overflowed my house tonight and I am panicking husbands ready to shut it down and say no more how do I fix this problem without having to drill my tank or buy a new one

aquatic fun

putting in a skimmer, blue eye urchin, and phos remover pad on monday. Having hair algae problems.. thought it was due to the purple up add but I was wrong :( well all we can do is keep going right. making the rocks come alive is the first thing I am excited but I know I have a couple months to go untill I am ready for corals

Last edited:

tnwillia

I never use Purple up, Coralline takes time, you can get it into your tank on live rock or even Snails/Hremits that have patches on their shells. You'll see it growing on the plastic stuff in your tank first in most cases. Once it starts growing it becomes a routine scraping it off the glass. Have fun and go slow, things will work out much better in the long run!

catran

Yeah, I tried it in my 15g tank I had at first. Nothing! What you do, is find something that has a lot of coralline on it. Scrape tiny, tiny pieces of it all over your rock. That does take hold if you cycled for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I just spent 25 minutes scraping corraline off my front glass. Good thing I wont have to do that again for three days!
Take my corraline please. In other words be careful what u wish for corraline algae is tough stuff. Scrapes off the glass like cement. It'll come. Just give the cycle time.

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

aquatic fun

thanks for positive reinforcement it helps alot I have some nice stuff going on in there.... I am getting comfortable with it and very much enjoying the outcome...