Turf Scrubber

DrHank

I would be interested to hear if any of you folks are using a turf scrubber on your tanks. If so, for how long, how it's working, if you find it equal or superior to a fuge, and anything else noteworthy. I am considering adding one to my 200 gallon reef but would like to hear your opinions first.

Rhodes19

Ditto. My HOB skimmer for my 29 g is not pulling skimmate any more (even after being cleaned) and my nitrates are high. I'm also considering it for my 180 build.

DaveK

If your interested in the subject I highly recommend the book Dynamic Aquaria: Building Living Ecosystems by Adey and Loveland.

I used algae turf scrubbing for about 8 years and I did find that it did do some nice things. These include great pod production, plankton production, rapid uptake of nitrates and phosphates, and easy maintenance.

I did find the following limitations, compared to the berlin system with a deep sand bed, which I use today.

Algae are generally "leaky filters". In other words, you get some slight discoloration of the water unless you run carbon.

I also found that the algae can become a big dirt trap. This can be counter productive, since all that trapped dirt has to be broken down by the algae. I would recommend some mechanical filtration before the water goes into the scrubber.

Originally I was not using skimming, and I found the overall water quality to be lower. This was because algae turf scrubbing had to deal with all waste products via biological filtration. Later I added a skimmer, and this did help the water quality quite a bit. When I'm talking about water quality here, I'm referring to coral growth and success with more difficult corals. If I was going to use algae turf scrubbing again, I would also use a skimmer, and skim the water before it got passed to the scrubber.

I also found that algae turf scrubbing does not mean that you will not have algae in the main tank. After all, the algae is releasing it's spores. It's growing in the scrubber, and it can grow very nicely in the tank.

I found I needed to harvest the algae from time to time. The algae grows in some massive mats, which is good and what you want, but large clumps of it can detach and possibly clog the output areas of the scrubber. Make sure the scrubber has a couple of different return paths at different levels, so you can tell if it's backing up.

Algae scrubbing works best when there is a back and forth flow of water in the scrubber. This is often done using dump buckets, or pumps using timers to alter direction. Think of this as sort of a wave action in a scrubber. It increases the contact time of the algae to the water, and keep the turf more open.

Over all, I have to say that I prefer my current system over algae turf scrubbing, mostly for the above reasons. However, I can see some cases where algae turf scrubbing would be the preferred method of filtration. For example, if you wanted to keep mandarins you'd have an ideal source of pods. Tangs usually do well in such systems, and you can use some of the algae turf to feed them, but don't over do it.

I'm using a turf scrubber for my only source of filtration. No skimmer or refugium. My water params are all perfect. The only problem I've been having is with water clarity. I've tried carbon and it doesn't seem to help a lot.

I have zero algae in my display tank. Sure, there are spores floating around that could turn into algae in the DT, but the whole point is that the scrubber grows the algae on it with intense lighting and increased flow so that it doesn't have a chance to grow in the DT.

With the cloudiness, I'm still not 100 percent sold on the ATS as the sole method of filtration, but if this could be figured out, then I would be sold.

If algae in the DT is your main concern, then I would recommend supplementing your filtration with a scrubber. You could possibly add one in your sump for little to no cost if you have the room.

reefracer

Well, my main reason for interest in the scrubber would be a more cost effective method of phos and nitrate removal. Oh, and my skimmer pump is about to crash.

Well, it brought my 'trates and 'phates to zero, but like I said earlier, I'm not positive it can be 100 percent of your filtration. I actually added a skimmer this weekend so we'll see if my water clears up some. So far it's pulling tons of green crap out of the water.

Rhodes19

Thanks every one for your posts. It is interesting to hear. I am curious to see what happens with the cloudiness.

Island Hopper

Mine has been running in my refugium for two weeks, so it's a little early to tell if it's going to do the job I'm hoping for. If it works great! If not oh well. All I have invested is a little time and a few bucks.

Varga

I turned off my scrubber and nothing changed. I think the reported benefits are due to tank maturing and not the scrubber.

jski711

I ran one for a few months and it was great IMO. Mine was too small for my tank so I did end up going back to my skimmer but if I had the room I'd set one up for sure. I never had any yellowing of the water and never really saw any drawbacks except the weekly cleaning which was difficult because of it's poor location.

williah

Good thread to keep in touch with.

I've been running a scrubber for a few months now, mostly to get my nitrates under control. My nitrates are now 0 (40-100 the previous 2 years). I haven't had any water discoloration, but Santamonica (see link earlier) writes in his ATS webpage that weekly and effecient cleaning of the scrubber will prevent this.

Last week I decided to turn off my skimmer to see if my quality continues this way without it (all my other measurements are perfeect). Also from what I've read, skimming removes/prevents develoment of live phytoplankton in the system. I wanted to develop a phyto base in my tank, which is why my skimmer's off. Don't know if this'll work, but I'm trying.

So far nothing has changed, but it's way early. I am testing daily (almost). I'll keep in touch with results. Hopefully others do too.

DaveK

Good thread to keep in touch with.

I've been running a scrubber for a few months now, mostly to get my nitrates under control. My nitrates are now 0 (40-100 the previous 2 years). I haven't had any water discoloration, but Santamonica (see link earlier) writes in his ATS webpage that weekly and effecient cleaning of the scrubber will prevent this.

Last week I decided to turn off my skimmer to see if my quality continues this way without it (all my other measurements are perfeect). Also from what I've read, skimming removes/prevents develoment of live phytoplankton in the system. I wanted to develop a phyto base in my tank, which is why my skimmer's off. Don't know if this'll work, but I'm trying.

So far nothing has changed, but it's way early. I am testing daily (almost). I'll keep in touch with results. Hopefully others do too.

I'm glad your seeing some positive results. If you look at my prior posts on this thread, you see that I did use algae scrubbing for a considerable period of time. I have read Santamonica's thread (it's been posted on most every reef forum) and I do take exception to some of his theories about algae scrubbing. Specifically, that cleaning the scrubber often will prevent water discoloration. It was my experience that this wasn't really true. Algae are leaky filters. I also don't by into the idea that using a skimmer removes "food" for your corals or prevents phyto plankton. While skimming will remove this, you'll also find that any serious type of mechanical filtration will do the same. Just take a look at a filter sock after a weeks uses.

IMHO, Santamonica is a "man on a mission" as far as algae scrubbing goes. There is nothing wrong with this, but I do feel that there are also disadvantages to algae scrubbing, and they are often not pointed out. Read all information provided by anyone, including myself, with "a grain of salt".

Please do post your test results, sine we are always interested in new information.