ttrego's RSM 250

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM

ttrego

OK, total tests today and first water change. I also added 3 Blue Reef Chromis, and Elegance Coral and a Montipora Capricornis.
Parameters - Temp 78, pH 8.2, Alk 8.4 (dosed Red Sea for that after testing), Calcium 480, Phosphate 0, Nitrate 0. Magnesium 1560 (no idea why so high, I have never dosed for that)
I am posting current pix, some things are closed up because I had just finished with water change and rearranging some.
Tank9_20_C_zpse12b3a35.jpg

Monti_zps8513da51.jpg

Elegance_zps3b7d40c2.jpg

Tank9_20_A_zpse666a265.jpg

Tank9_20_B_zps4db3d7bd.jpg

ttrego

Thanks Joey!

I would like to mention to everyone that the cured rock I got to add to the tank with my old, was from Premium Aquatics. They were a great help and had a great product! I noticed that they were a sponsor and I thought I would let folks know how good their rock is!

ttrego

You can't tell in the pictures, but the tank is not really as clear as it should be. Looking on from the front it looks OK, but looking through the ends of the tank you can tell it is a little cloudy. I guess it is residual from the live sand. Any ideas on really clearing it up?

Thanks

ttrego

New pics! I added a couple of 'Whips and a Red Gorgonian (we will se how that goes) along with a gorgeous mint green Digitate Acropora and a nice piece of Blasto! All the parameters are perfect, but some of the 'moved' corals are still rebounding. I think they are all OK, just still in a little shock. I had the slightest diatom algae bloom last week, but it is gone already.

IMG_3800_zps39ff3416.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3799_zpsf2f73c83.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3797_zpsbc6378ca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8479d154-8071-42f8-b510-77f6dbd221cc_zpsb940b0d3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3801_zps476cb4af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ttrego

Not so far, I say with fingers crossed! The only problem I have with fish is with my splendid dottyback. He is VERY aggressive. So much so, I am afraid he is going to stress the Flame and the Chromis into ich or something. He nips at them badly. He leaves the Clowns and the Tang alone though. The Clowns were there before him and the Tang is big enough not to bother. I don't know, I guess I am hoping the Angel and Chromis will grow quickly enough to stop him. I hate to take him out, he is beautiful. By the same token, I hate to see him wreck all my fish by starting a disease.

ttrego

Parameters all good this morning. I am starting to get to what my Bi-Weekly additives need to be. Up until now, I have just been testing and adding, but I am starting to get a picture now of what amounts I can add bi-weekly. I am still a little high on Mg, not sure about that one.
I decided on this tank to go with all Red Sea additives and see how it goes. On my last tank, I used Prodibio with good results. But I just figure if Red Sea designed the tank and all the additives to work well in their system, I ought to give it a shot! We will see how it works out. Anyone else use primarily Red Sea products?
I will try to post pics sometime this weekend.

Oxylebius

I use mixed brands, not primarily RS. Started to use some red sea products, dosing potassium from red sea (and test kit for K is also RS). Been using RS Coral Pro salt for 3 yrs now. But, dosing Ca, Alk, & Mg from BRS, their 2-part system. Also add amino acids with AcroPower, which is a Two Little Fishies product.

ttrego

Here are pix for this week. I think it is looking good for only being a month since the transfer! I am starting to see a little coralline algae on my glass scrubber and on the back. It is so small yet, it doesn't show in the pics.

IMG_3810_zps9bd66e51.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3812_zpsd051d513.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3814_zps179dba94.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3823_zpsef32d8e1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And this little Goniopora came over from the BioCube. He has grown since he has been in this tank. I know he is so little, but he looks better than he ever has!
IMG_3821_zps940612ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ttrego

Well the last week has been interesting. I had added a few small frags to the tank along with a nice Blue Acropora and an urchin. For whatever reason the urchin didn't make it. I came home from work and noticed the water was a little cloudier than normal (with everything within tolerance on the parameters, I have just never got the tank to be sparkling clear, since it was set up), so I then noticed crabs eating on the urchin 'mouth'. I got him out and he was very dead. I thought everything would be fine...maybe. Well, the next day I got home from work, and I have cyano on the gravel. I immediately do a 30% water change and run a canister filter with just water polishing pads on the tank also, just to help fine clean. My wife REALLY loved the canister sitting on the floor in front of the tank with the hoses running up the front.
The cyano is almost gone now and I will do another 20% change this morning. But it looks like I am loosing my pink bushy acro. Thank goodness everything else seems to be fine. The highest anything got to was phosphates at .16 and nitrates at .5, so not too bad.
On another note, yesterday afternoon, just to help with the cyano, I added my Hydor wavemaker with 2-450 gph pumps from my old biocube. (I have a Vortech on order). And lo and behold, right before bed last night I notice that my tank is clearer than it has ever been. This morning, looking long ways through the tank it is sparkling clear! So my question is, why did I need the extra water movement to finally clear my tank? Is this a problem with the new RSM250? Do I just have the RSM ports aimed wrong? Why would the tank need supplemental water movement?
I am adding a single Vortech MP10, and will take the Hydor system out, it just doesn't look good in the 250. I hope that will be enough movement to keep the clarity.
Any input on any of the above would be appreciated!

Danreef

CoulD be that the RSM pumps outlets are placed in some way that with their water movement only a section of your tank water column is pushed to the overflow and the water stream from the stock pumps was keeping/pushing the floating particules to stay in the tank. In other words, moving a lot of surface water and not middle bottom water. The added pumps generated a full turbulent water tank movent. In that way all the particules were slowly pushed to pass the overflow.

Men, that was a long way to express my idea ....LOL

Daniel

ttrego

I started the blackout period last night. I will turn the lights back on for Friday and see if it did the job. If not, I am going to use Boyd's ChemiClean. I will post how things turn out.

newo11

You may find that the single mp-10 is not enough additional flow. Most of us with mp-10's in the RSM250 have two placed on opposite ends of the tank. If I was going with just one, I would have gone with an MP-40.

Another thing to consider is doing a loc-line mod to the standard ports or do a spin-stream mod or similar product to change the distribution of the flow. Some also upgrade the stock pumps as well.

Danreef

You may find that the single mp-10 is not enough additional flow. Most of us with mp-10's in the RSM250 have two placed on opposite ends of the tank. If I was going with just one, I would have gone with an MP-40.

Another thing to consider is doing a loc-line mod to the standard ports or do a spin-stream mod or similar product to change the distribution of the flow. Some also upgrade the stock pumps as well.

There is no need to expend money changing pumps and doing mods. Add a Jebao RW 8 (or a MP 40 depending on your budget) and point the return outlets slightly to the water surface. Just slightly to have the flow going over the rock work.

The WaveMaker pump (jebao or mp) will move enought water in all the tank and in all the corners. I have my full SPS tank like that and all is going OK.

ttrego

I actually changed to the MP40 before I had it shipped. Right now, I have 1 outlet aimed upwards a little and 1 aimed downward a little. Both of them towards the middle. I have noticed that the downward one is interfering a little with the flow from the MP40 so I might aim it a little upwards also. Right now I am running the mp40 at about 40% on a short pulse. It looks like it is moving water across the sand bed well. Maybe with the other port aimed up, I will increase flow on the MP40 and as Danreef said let the it be most of the movement. I also plan to run it in NTM mode once a week even though I only have one. seems like that would be a good thing to move stuff up and out.

ttrego

OK,the blackout is over. So far so good! I saw no Cyano last night, nor today. I did loose a digitate acropora through what I will call "The Urchin Incident". Everything else looks good. All parameters are inline. I am posting pictures from today. I am seeing a good amount of growth on some of the corals, and I hate to say it, but they never looked better than right after the urchin died. I guess plenty of nutrients! Good for VERY short term, would be a nightmare for long term. Here are pics......
IMG_1781_zpsba1b0236.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1782_zpsda56c047.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1783_zps616f3f2e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1785_zps024a3791.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1786_zps3500a189.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1787_zps8d640ae2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]