Trying to Figure out my T5 Setup

Kingumar

I recently bought this reef setup that came with lights.
They are mounted in the canopy. I am trying to figure out how good this setup is or if i need to upgrade.
My 90gal setup is going to be sps dominated, so suggest me something that will keep those corals happy.

This is the current light setup:
6 x 54W T5 retrofit lighting kit from Sunlight Supply. Upgraded to IceCap SLR reflectors.

These are connected to 3 Accustart Electronic Ballast

How good are these lights? I was thinking about upgrading to 6 or 8 x54w ATI Sumpower. Would it be a big difference? should i upgrade? I dont want to be stuck with only keeping sps near the top, most of them will be mounted near the top-center of the tank.

Would really appreciate any help on this, im trying to get the tank going. :)

Thanks.

TylerHaworth

The Icecap reflectors are pretty good reflectors, as long as you have a fan blowing ACROSS the lights I would not bother replacing them for the Sunpower.

That being said, yes, the 6 bulb Sunpower would probably and the 8 bulb Sunpower would definitely put more light into the tank... However, for the cost:benefit I would not waste my money, as you should be able to grow SPS in probably the upper 3/4 and definitely upper 2/3 of your 90 gallon...

If you're going SPS dominated, invest that money in a really nice skimmer and a nice wavemaker... Just my opinion!

Kingumar

Thanks for the input Tyler.
My skimmer is ASM G1X which is rated for 150 gallons. so far its been skimming very well, would i need to upgrade that?

For flow, i have mag 7 which is used for return and vortech mp40w and mp20 which i will upgrade to mp40 down the road.

The lights is the only thing i am worried about, but if its enough, i dont see the need to upgrade.

TylerHaworth

Yeah, I would definitely see what you can do before you spend 500-700 on one of those fixtures... If in the future it isn't doing what you want, then upgrade. "Learn to leave well enough alone!"

Flow sounds sufficient... more than I have!

I used to have a G1X... It pulled as much gunk as the Tunze I have now, wish I woulda kept it and saved the money!