Trouble reading my TDS meter. Help.

carlagracie

UPS just droped off my BRS order which had an RO/DI unit and a TDS meter. I have the unit hooked up now and I am waiting for it to produce. I checked the rodi water that im buying from my LFS and the TDS is 002 PPM. My tap water is 569 PPM. I tested my tank water and the display comes up - - -. Does that mean that the TDS in my tank is 0? I would think if it is 0 then the unit would say 000. Thanks in advance.

P.S When I first turn the meter on it reads 000.

N83259

I've never seen the BRS TDS, but my guess is the ppm content of SW exceeds the number of digits on the LCD display. My hand held TDS reads only to 999 ppm. I have an older unit made for horticultural (measuring fertilizer concentrations) use that will read high ranges up to 9999 ppm, with an accuracy of 50 ppm.

carlagracie

Yea its not ment for use on saltwater LOL. I made 5 gallons of rodi water and went to use my meter and it wont power on :(. Called BRS and they are sending me a replacement but I may have to wait until monday to get it :(

tnwillia

If you only submurged it enough to cover the base where it reads, try holding it under running water to clean out that area. I did the same thing with mine (in Saltwater) but after washing it off it came back and works fine. Glad BRS is taking care of you, they are great guys! Good luck!