tropic marin switch

notquitemusashi

i have heard of some ppl experiancing bleaching when switching to tropic marin. is this really true or just urban legend?

also have ppl sucessfully made the switch from IO to TM? and how did you do it?

tia

Curtswearing

I've never heard of people having problems with switching to TM. There were some threads where people were having difficulties switching to other salts.

I think the main thing to remember is that reef tanks like stability. I wouldn't want to do a huge 20% waterchange with a new salt.

I would ease into any new salt over time with more frequent smaller waterchanges.

Obviously, matching SG, pH, temp, etc. is important as well. If those parameters are off....fix them before doing the waterchange.

dwall174

Originally posted by Curtswearing
I've never heard of people having problems with switching to TM.
Good to here that! I’ve been using IO for several years now! However I have also heard a lot of good replies about TM :D My LFS just started carrying TM & from what I’ve heard it mixes up closer to the 400 Ca range than IO which is usually around 320.

i switched, i have a 120, and did about a 10gal water change once every week for one full box (about a month) a box is supposed to mix up 50gal. now ive resumed my normal water change schedule wtih TM. love it, within 2 weeks i noticed a difference in cooleration of some of my start polyps and ric's. for the better much more vivid and the polyp extension was improved as well. im a believer of TM now.

notquitemusashi

thanx for the info. i am switching to TM from IO and had noticed some minor bleaching on one of my acro's. i have been doing 5 gal changes in my 75gal weekly with the hopes of easing the system to the new salt.

i guess i can look for another cause of the bleaching.

thanx again

Brucey

Good info guys. I've never considered switching salt brands and always guessed they were all much the same. Interesting to know switching salt can make a change to your corals.

mps9506

Everything I have heard about TM is great. I would use it except it is hard to get, which means I'm less likely to do my water changes :)
Mike

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
I switched to TM from Red Sea about 6 months ago. My corals have never looked better since the switch! To echo SSR, parameters were more stable and increased polyp extension.
But since I have only ever used Red Sea and TM I can't say if TM is better than IO, but I can definately say its better than Red Sea.

Witfull

i have used red sea alot in the past,(they gave it to me to promo it in my store) its good for FO put other than that,,,